New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any other header we can get for our zetec cougars cause i guess zxtuner hasnt came out with theres yet i emailed the guy and he said that he is waiting for atleast 4 people to order them and then he will get final fitment on them casue the closest cougar to him is 8 hours away... soo does anyone know of any other header to fit our cars???

·
Registered
832 Posts
Anybody looked into the Focus SVT header? Turbo Tom says it's the best header, factory or aftermarket, he's ever seen. Worse case scenario you'd have to swap out the oil pan to make it fit, but my dad did that to prototype his turbo setup and a used Focus oil pan cost him $50 and it was a direct bolt on to the Couar Zetec. Our oil pans have the hump in the opposite sides.

·
Registered
949 Posts
if all he needs is 4 people, to order, I will place an order if we can get 3 others.

Edit: Just added a picture so I could PM it to someone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am like less then a half hour away from him. I will email him to ask if he would want to use my cougar for fitment. Does anyone have his email address or at least the companys and a name that I can address the email too. I would be willing to get the headers fit tested and I woul also buy one. Just too get this thing rolling. Even though I gave up plans for the cougar and am going to either get a s15 from japan, do an s15 conversion, or buy a supra. I won't really know untill I go to japan to see what I can get my hands on. But headers can't hurt anything ya know.

·
Registered
902 Posts
How much would they be?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They header is 385 plus shippin im guessin and his store is Zxtuner.com but a svt header would fit on our car direct bolt on with just a change of oil pan???? could you give me a link to some of these headers and oil pan???

·
Registered
832 Posts
I BELIEVE the SVT Focus header is a direct bolt on, cause I've read of stock Foci doing that swap and we have the same bolt pattern on our exhausts. I've seen a dyno of a stock Focus gaining 15hp with just a SVT header. So it will bolt onto the head, but you'll have to custom weld/clamp it to the rest of the exhaust.
EDIT: You may also have to adjust the oil dip stick.

For links, go to car-parts.com, they're a salvage yard search engine. I just did a search and their's only two SVT headers for sale in the US right now and one was at $100, the other said to call for price. I didn't check oil pans, but my dad bought one on ebay for like $50. No idea how much either would cost brand new.

My only problem with headers, is I'm all turbo and if you decide to go turbo, you have to scrap that real nice header you spent all that money on. Though spending around $200 for a SVTF header and oilpan wouldn't be too bad of a hit.

Also some food for though, Turbo Tom did a test fit of a full 3" catback on a SVTF and saw that it gained HP across the board with no losses in the low rpms. So theoretically, if you had a naturally aspirated Zetec doing 150+whp, a 3" exhaust would be ideal. Though he said that was a surprise and it was partially because of how good the stock SVT header is. He said it's the best header he's seen, not including his own custom SVTF header of course.

EDIT AGAIN: Here's a pic from a site selling a conversion kit for the Focus to install the SVT header. It comes with a heat sheild, new oil dip stick and EGR tube and I beleive the header is modified to accept EGR. Though if you have VCT you don't have to worry about that, though not sure if the SVT has EGR stock. If it does you can just cap or weld the bung on the header. Been doing a bit of reading on the SVTF header and apparently it was designed by Cosworth. Here's the pic.
You'd defintely need to swap oil pans and then custom hook up the exhaust to the rest of the exhaust, but it could be done for less than $300 I believe.

ONE LAST EDIT:OK, after doing more research, I've seen there's a problem with the power steering lines and the header could melt the stock power steering lines cause they sit too close on the Focus and the SVT had rerouted lines. Not sure how that would affect the Cougar Zetec though, don't know exactly which line is affected and if we have the same. Also, looking at some other pics of the SVT engine and header the very bottom part of the header sticks out quite a bit from the engine and may interfere with the motor mount or radiator fan.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
we've tried for the zxtuner header before...i made a sticky on it and it was up for a while...if there's more interest this time around i'll make another sticky for those who have ordered it...i woulda ordered it myself long ago but i'm soon getting rid of the coug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts