New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive ditched the custom widebody plans for now cause i found a company who has the rest of the Aerogear kit that I need in stock, ive been browsing the forums, and ive read that the Aerogear Z3 fenders will crack when you mold the fender flares to them, what kind of supports did james use to reinforce the fenders???? Any help is appreciated, cause i definately don't want them to crack after its painted!!!

S

·
0 Posts
well thats easy...if u look at pictures of James's cougar...there arent any z3 fenders....they are stock fenders....NO VENTS ADDED!!!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I wouldn't do Z3 Fenders with the Wide Body Kit.... As mentioned time and time again, either the CustomCougars X1s or Stock... if not you will have some work ahead of you...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my bad guys, its the street concepts cougar with the Z-3's,:flushed: i realize that theres a lot of work involved, but I plan on installing a nitrous purge exiting through the vents, and i really like them, I know that you have to shave at least one of the vents to install the widebody, but i was wondering if anyone knew of a way to keep them from cracking.....

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
The only thing you need to do is shave 2 vents and then make supports for the front bumper which you should do anyways. The supports for the bumper can bolt to the core support on the bottom of the car and extend out to lift the bumper up so it does not sag. The sag is what will cause stress on the fenders. For shaving the 2 vents I use milled glass fibers which is basically powdered glass and I mix that with resin to the consistency of paste then apply just like body filler. Make sure to scuff the vents thouroughly first and also drill 1/8" holes all through the area to be filled. The glass will go through the holes and really bite and once hardened it'll never come out. The glass when hardened is basically solid fiberglass and is very very strong. I used the same method for frenching the handles on this car.

You can see pics of modified z3's on a Cougar I am doing an aeroextreme kit on as well as 4" fender flares.

C2 Cougar

Also you are not limited to z3 or x1 style fenders if you are doing custom body work. You can do any style vent you like and mold it in.

Below are x1 style fenders that I made for a customer and custom fender vents I made for our shop Expedition

Here is a set of oem style fiberglass S10 fenders that Aerogear had me testfit before they added a vent to the finished design. I used x1 style vents from a neon fender to make these for a customer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry for steelin this post but

aeroextreme kit on as well as 4" fender flares.
That is what Ive always wanted to do. Xtreme front and rear, Z3's, Fender flares, and Millenium sides. I have all pieces but the flares but I dont have the cash for a new paint job and all the molding now :banghead:

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yeah I'm excited to see how this one turns out. We're installing coil overs on it today.

I made some modifications to the rear bumper as well. I added a dual exhaust cutout and shaved the trunk handle recess

The rear bumper is also molded into the car now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I admire the body work but that rear is just hideous... what sides did they go with and how come all these modded cougs are from Maryland...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
I admire the body work but that rear is just hideous... what sides did they go with and how come all these modded cougs are from Maryland...

expect one more coming from Craig's shop soon as well.

<----don't know the owners of the other MD cougs... tis a mystery.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
Do you have a pic of the extreme sides?? i thought they didn't exist??
Yes they do ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Craig your work is amazing that looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
hey um... how does that one guy get into his trunk, since you've shaved off the rear trunk handel thingy :tongue:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts