New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

I just started my first year of Photography at the academy.
I want to finish that education (which lasts 3 years) in the area of car photography.

I just made a deal with www.importfx.net so my pictures will come on that website.
My first coverage of a show is already online.

Now the thing I'm asking is your opinion on my photography style (the 'special' angles). Do you like it or not?
And also feel free to comment on the level of cars.
Most of the cars are from Belgium and some from The Netherlands.

CHECK IT OUT!!!!

Thanx
Tim

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
Wow..some of those cars were pretty nice..But Ido have to ask..whats up with the sideways exhaust exiting from the rear? :shrug: New trend?

·
Administrator
11,714 Posts
How to Photograph Cars.

Not a dig at your skills, just throwing you a helpful guide. I have that book and it is like gold if automotive photography is something you want to persue moreso than other types of photography. Granted, getting good shots at car shows sucks because you have to condend with cars packed together & people in the way. But you can still make those shots turn out good.

2 examples of some photos I took at a local car show:

I've actually removed myself from the reflection in those shots, but I have them saved at work. If I had a DSLR I would so rock at photography. All I have now is an old 2.1mp point & shoot. I had to borrow my dads 5.1mp for the car show.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by: LostRacer
Wow..some of those cars were pretty nice..But Ido have to ask..whats up with the sideways exhaust exiting from the rear? :shrug: New trend?
Original ain't it? :biggrin:
Everybody wants to do something to his car that hasn't been done before.
I really like it on that car, but to each his own ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by: JScullin
How to Photograph Cars.

Not a dig at your skills, just throwing you a helpful guide. I have that book and it is like gold if automotive photography is something you want to persue moreso than other types of photography. Granted, getting good shots at car shows sucks because you have to condend with cars packed together & people in the way. But you can still make those shots turn out good.

2 examples of some photos I took at a local car show:

http://www.skolenimation.com/misc/BelAir-1.jpg

http://www.skolenimation.com/misc/Grill-1.jpg

I've actually removed myself from the reflection in those shots, but I have them saved at work. If I had a DSLR I would so rock at photography. All I have now is an old 2.1mp point & shoot. I had to borrow my dads 5.1mp for the car show.
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try to find that book here somewhere.

·
Administrator
15,602 Posts
Nice work!

What are you shooting with may I ask?

I've seen the book that Jscullin is talking about. I dunno...I like your style better. I like to see the whole car, and you've done in a unique way.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Great pics. The only advice I'd give (being no expert, who has no place where he should offer advice) is, and I know it would be hard at a car show, is to remember the location of the sun. The shadows in some pics were overbearing, I know due to time, weather, buildings etc. it isn't always feasible. But there is more saleability in the many many pics without these shadows

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
nice work on the photographs... the cars are all very differen't than my style but some are nice and some just a little off...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by: wadespencer99
Nice work!

What are you shooting with may I ask?

I've seen the book that Jscullin is talking about. I dunno...I like your style better. I like to see the whole car, and you've done in a unique way.

:thumbsup:
Thanx.
These pics were taken with a simple digital camera: Olympus C-300 ZOOM, 3.0 Megapixels.
But I'm going to buy a new camera today or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what type it is then. My teachers recommended the Canon 350 or the Nikon D50 or D70.
So it will be one of those.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by: jonnycat
Great pics. The only advice I'd give (being no expert, who has no place where he should offer advice) is, and I know it would be hard at a car show, is to remember the location of the sun. The shadows in some pics were overbearing, I know due to time, weather, buildings etc. it isn't always feasible. But there is more saleability in the many many pics without these shadows
Thanx.
I know that, but as you said, it very hard to do that on a car show.
There were a lot of spectators there and the cars were standing pretty close to each other. With every car I first looked to in which angles I could photograph it. But a couple of times the best angle was with the sun in a bad position...

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Nice work, i like alot of what your doing with the angles to frame the intrest. But you might consider occasionaly backing off and get the bigger picture, use sceenery and background to accent the cars. I know at shows this isnt possible, most of the time its hard just to get enough people away to take a picture. Let alone having the car driven some where else, but it can add alot of to your work.

Least thats my personal taste. I grew up the son of a photograhper.... Dad loves outdoor stuff, so ive always been drawn to that. But his stock and trade is working for MacDonnel Douglas / Boeing. Had some pretty nice shots of F-15s, F-18s, AV8b Harriers and all the rest on my walls since i was a kid. :)

Oh and ive used the D50 and the D70 not sure which one i like more. Then again i worked in a photo lab for 5 years i still like film
then again i use alot of digital cause of ease. Im waiting for my dad to buy one of the new digital backs for his Hasselblads. Gonnna be fun to mess with 16 or 22 megapixel images :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by: Moraki
Nice work, i like alot of what your doing with the angles to frame the intrest. But you might consider occasionaly backing off and get the bigger picture, use sceenery and background to accent the cars. I know at shows this isnt possible, most of the time its hard just to get enough people away to take a picture. Let alone having the car driven some where else, but it can add alot of to your work.

Least thats my personal taste. I grew up the son of a photograhper.... Dad loves outdoor stuff, so ive always been drawn to that. But his stock and trade is working for MacDonnel Douglas / Boeing. Had some pretty nice shots of F-15s, F-18s, AV8b Harriers and all the rest on my walls since i was a kid. :)

Oh and ive used the D50 and the D70 not sure which one i like more. Then again i worked in a photo lab for 5 years i still like film
then again i use alot of digital cause of ease. Im waiting for my dad to buy one of the new digital backs for his Hasselblads. Gonnna be fun to mess with 16 or 22 megapixel images :)
I always try to do that: a pic of the whole car and then I go look for the details or interesting shots. But as you said, on a car show that's not always that simple.

I wish I had the money to buy a Hasselblad :biggrin:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
i loooove this picture :)

keep at it!

oh, and could you ship me a 206?? I want one! :biggrin:

thanx

I'll ship you a 206 if you ship me a Dodge Magnum :biggrin: (Here in Europe those cars are Chrysler 300 C Touring...so with the front of a Chrysler 300 C....it just doesn't look mean anymore...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.