New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's exactly what I thought as I pulled up to the light to get onto the freeway, and some jackass in a nice gunmetal RX-8 pulls up alongside me. He revved at me, and I just rolled my eyes. I really don't know what the hell it is and why they do it, but the former driver of the car mentioned that it never happened to him. (He has since realized that it actually DOES happen to me all the time, after going for a ride with me).

I look over at him, staring through the wafting smoke rising from the tip of my cigarette like an old wild-west gunslinger ready for a duel.

Once the light turned green, we both took off, hampered by some slow SUV's getting onto the freeway too. Once it opened up, we both got up to speed waiting for the cars in front to provide an opening. I managed to get clear before he did so I pulled in front of a truck on an open lane waiting for him to speed up. He starts to floor it, and I can hear that distinctive whine of rotary as he nears, so I downshift to high 3rd gear and gun it. By the time we leave 70mph and near 120mph, I'm dusting his ass by almost 3 car lengths.

Man, those things still look nice and ride nice in the twisties, but he got owned by the 3L/SVT Hybrid 'tour. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
See, and stupid me, I was half-afraid to tangle with 'em . . . now I really wanna get tuned and go hunting . . .

I look over at him, staring through the wafting smoke rising from the tip of my cigarette like an old wild-west gunslinger ready for a duel.
And thats just friggin hilarious, you sound like me . . .

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The auto RX-8s are about as fast as automatic V6 Cougars. They only have 197 hp, and about the same amount of torque as the Cougars. The Borla exhaust sounds sweet on them though.

Borla Video

Mike

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Nice kill man, it's rare to even see a road tales section of a 3L losing... which is awesome.

Borla rules. That rotary actually sounds nice, most i've heard 'literally' sound like weed whackers, but the few in my area are HIGHLY modified, and i doubt much could hang w/ these's 7's

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I raced one at the track that was an auto and it ran an 18 so the autos are slow. nice kill though

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah, the auto's can't keep them in that sweet spot, and no torque + auto = ahh hell lol. One of the few cars where the manual is a good 3 faster then the automatic rofl. Usually it's like half second to a second on most cars.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Of course a 3L is gonna beat an rx-8! I whooped up on one and I got a 2.5L with exhaust and CAI....thats it! They have 125 ft-lbs of torque!! I've seen riding lawnmowers with more. Not worth the money at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Originally posted by: dyed4ordblue
Of course a 3L is gonna beat an rx-8! I whooped up on one and I got a 2.5L with exhaust and CAI....thats it! They have 125 ft-lbs of torque!! I've seen riding lawnmowers with more. Not worth the money at all.

Ummmm....the RX8's have a 174 lbs of torque if its a manual....not 125.........And Since Norcal was racing a manual RX8, he was racing one with 230HP and 174lbs of torque. My old 2.5 SVT motor with intake and exahust had a little trouble keeping up...and i lost by about 3 car lengths racing one form a stop. Weather he was modded or not im not too sure...sounded like atleast intake and exahust.

Lupe

·
Registered
111 Posts
my buddy works for local mazda/nissan dealership so i get test drive alot of the newer cars from there. having drove both auto and manual rx-8

the auto is a turd and thats sad coming form an ATX driver.

the manual was alot of fun held road very nicely. but for the money rather get a 350z or an EVO

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
2004 Mazda RX-8 Specs:

Engine Size: 1.3L

Number of Cylinders: R2

Camshaft: Rotary

Horsepower: 238 hp @ 8500 rpm

Torque: 159 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm !!!!VERY SAD!!!!

Fuel Capacity: 15.9

Transmission: 6-speed manual

Drive: RWD

Tire Size — P225/45ZR18

·
Registered
553 Posts
yeah, no wonder the auto is slow, the powerband is way up there lol. You can't drive autos unless they got decent torque, and in a useable powerband lol.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That's the manual lol, we are talking about the autos, which are about on par with a ATX cougar in the quarter, if not a touch slower. ([email protected] vs [email protected]k about that lol) The auto's on those cars can't stay in the power band for the life of them, they are lifeless under 4000rpm without the manual.

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
hell, the manuals don't seem to be that impressive. i saw a few at the 1/8th mile track this past Thurs....they where stock and running 11's and 12's, lol. mind you it's a very slow track and almost a second slower than another local track. but still.......

M

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I was talking about the one mond12345 listed, which was a manual.

True, the 1/4 isn't spectacular at 14.5s, but it is a tad quicker than a lot of cars in its class.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.