New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm interested in getting the XM Roady kit for my bday, and I talked to the guys at Best Buy, and he said it will cost $100 to install. I'm wondering if it's fairly easy to install. He said you have to run the antenna, and get some type of adapter? What adapter is needed? Is running the antenna hard? Also, How hard is the FM Modulator to hook up in the Cougar? Thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
$100 is a rip off. Do it yourself it's so easy to do, especially the Roady which has nothing to it. Now, I highly recommend not getting any XM product that is fm modulated or cassette adapter operated (Roady, Commander or SkyFi). I'm not telling you that the portable XM tuners are bad or anything but I would rather have a clean install with nothing hanging off my dash and having the best possible sound connection by installing the unit directly to my head unit (Pioneer XM tuner with my Pioneer XM ready head unit). The antenna is really easy especially with the Cougar because we have hatch backs. There is no need to go through the weather seal on the rear windshield. If you open your trunk you can see how easy it would be to put the antenna on the roof (for best possible reception) near your rear washer nozzle and where you can simply run the antenna wire inside your car through the passenger side roof, up through the top of the pass side door, and down underneath through the back of your glove box. I have my Pioneer XM tuner in my glove box. I have all the wires hidden behind my glove box and under the back of my radio. For the power I just tapped into my radio's + wire. If you really want the Roady then go for it.....like I said I like a clean install where nothing is showing or hanging off my dash for thieves to see. With the Roady you have to take it out every time you leave your car. The only advantages of the Roady than what I have is more channel, song, and artist character scrolling and availability and the advantage of easily taking it out of your car to listen on your home stereo or through your computers line out plug. My sister has the SkyFi and it's always falling off her dash. I also have the SkyFi (which I pay $6.99 for an additional radio a month) for my house. The adapter the guy was talking about was probably for the FM modulator which does not come with the Roady. The adapter costs about $7 and it's so the FM modulator fits into your head unit. The Roady only comes with the cassette adapter. Both FM modulator and cassette adapter do not give you the best possible sound. If your existing head unit has an AUX in plug then you can plug it in that way but a lot of head units don't have an AUX in plug. The cassette adapter that comes with the Roady works just like a portable CD player and the FM modulator which I believe is around $30-40 plugs into the Roady then to the antenna plug on the back of the head unit (this is what the antenna adapter is for). If you get the FM modulator plug from Best Buy or Circuit City it would most likely be the Delphi one which needs power and a ground. You can tap into the same power and ground wires that your head unit uses now. When using the FM modulator you tune your radio to one of the stations it uses that isn't in use. So say 88.7 FM isn't used in your area and that is one of the channels the FM modulator uses you will be able to listen to XM through that unused channel. The downsides of FM modulators are almost similar sound quality to regular FM radio instead of better quality sounding music if you were to go the way I went. The other downside is when traveling further away from your home and you start picking up other FM stations you will get some interference if that channel that you are using is being used in the area you are in. They do make wireless FM modulators but I tried a few out when I had an FM modulated XM system and they all suck.

What kind of head unit do you have now? If it is an XM ready head unit then just go the way I did. It's your car though so do what you please.

Trust me, it's a hell of a lot easier than it looks and sounds.

If you do plan on doing it yourself and need some help (which you shouldn't because it's so easy), you can hit me up on AIM or drop a PM anytime if you want and I'll walk you through it. AIM=Rick8325

Anyway, here's some pics of my antenna. This WAS the smallest XM antenna out at the time I bought it but I guess the Roady antenna is a tiny bit smaller now. This antenna that I have is no longer sold. It was made by Sony.

On a side note this is probably my longest post ever on NECO. :biggrin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
xm uses repeters you should be fine mounting the antenna on the dash. if you put it outside the car i would recomend through the gutters of the windows, much cleaner install. the adapters you need are available from metra and circuit city they are european antenna adaptors and if you still have your factory radio you will need to of them

·
Registered
60 Posts
thats why i love my Sony Explode head unit, has connector wire preinstalled in the wire set up

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I have Sirius and thats basically the same thing... it was a snap to install and the antenna rests on my hatch cover thing.. works well.. sometimes (very rarely) when I go under an overpass it will cut out for a second.. otherwise I have had no problems in the Chicago tunnels even...

save the 100.00 - sell your current HU and use it twards a new HU that is XM/Siruis compatable.. FM modulators suck... I have the Kenwood MP922 and the Sirius programming and couldn't be happier.. one of the best mods ever IMHO

basically all you have to do is plug the 2 items together and run the antenna and then call the number to get service.. its like a 30 minute job..

I ran my antenna cord under the center console and carpet and brought it up behind the rear seats.. see the thingy on the hatch tray? thats the antenna - there is no need to run it on the outside of the car.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
there's a monthly fee because there are no commercials..
the radio transmitters have to get money from somewhere :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Shortly after my 1st post in this thread I decided to get Sirius. I now have both in my car and I have to say Sirius is better for me. What I have come down to is:

XM= for listeners who like non-hit based, b-side songs along with hits.
Sirius= for listeners who want to hear mainly hit-based songs.

Originally posted by: Statman
Im gettin XM installed soon on my XM ready deck and im only being charged 20 bucks.
Only being charged 20 bucks for something a 2 year old baby can install? Or are you talking about only being charged $20 for the service? I don't know if you know that XM costs $9.99 monthly. ;)

Originally posted by: tad
there's a monthly fee because there are no commercials..
the radio transmitters have to get money from somewhere :)
There is a fee because they are PREMIUM services. XM has commercials. Sirius does not. Sirius has in-house (20 second) promos which are just as bad as XM's commercials. XM has about 4-6 minutes worth of commercials every hour and Sirius plays their promos for every 7-10 songs they play.

Originally posted by: topgunz1
do all satellite radios have monthly charges? I think it'd be cool to have but dont feel like paying a bill to listen to the radio
If you think the $9.99 or $12.99 is a lot then I strongly suggest you not get either service. If you are a true music fan then these services are for you. Besides, the price of the monthly fee is less than 1 CD a month. Cable and Satelite TV are cool as well and I am very sure you have one of them. Let's not forget about cable or dsl internet which are cool that cost at least $30-60 a month. The key word is "Premium". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have to diagree about the hit comments. I work at a boat supply store and we sell both sirius and xm. In my findings Sirius will have more channels playing hits but the hits will not be played as often whereas XM has a few channels that play nothing but hits.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Originally posted by: Ness1216
I have to diagree about the hit comments. I work at a boat supply store and we sell both sirius and xm. In my findings Sirius will have more channels playing hits but the hits will not be played as often whereas XM has a few channels that play nothing but hits.
Yeah of course there are channels on XM that play top 40 hits and some other stations on XM that play songs that made the charts. I can tell you that Sirius is more hit-based than XM. Meaning, you will hear more deeper cuts and b-side songs on XM than you will on Sirius. If you visit www.siriusbackstage.com and www.xmfan.com you can view some of the stations daily playlists that people post and see for yourself that I am right. When you actually own both services like I do you know which channels play what and I am sure your store only puts on the "hits" stations. If I knew the content on Sirius as I know it now I would have got Sirius in the 1st place. Some people prefer to hear the songs and artists that didn't make it big.....it's just like Pepsi and Coke, they both have their own different tastes. When I was deciding to get XM or Sirius I can tell you that I got XM because it had more subscribers. A lot of people buy XM for that reason thinking it is better because of that and a lot of people don't realize that XM came out before Sirius. So as a garauntee, I can assure you that given the same channel on both services (say any decade station) you would most likely hear a song that didn't make the charts along with many hits on XM.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I see what your saying but, really there isnt too much of a difference between the two. All we have for xm is a few channels since its not activated but we have the full lineup of sirius. My dad has xm in his expedition so I can compare them. Also I work at the electronics counter and can change channels as I please. But really each caters to different listeners so its up to them, myself I would choose XM.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Originally posted by: Ness1216
I see what your saying but, really there isnt too much of a difference between the two. All we have for xm is a few channels since its not activated but we have the full lineup of sirius. My dad has xm in his expedition so I can compare them. Also I work at the electronics counter and can change channels as I please. But really each caters to different listeners so its up to them, myself I would choose XM.
There isn't too much difference between the two but each caters to different listeners? :rolleyes: You just said it yourself. Like I said before if you yourself actually subscribe to both services you will see the huge difference between both services on the material they broadcast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts