1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pissed.....lets see:

1st: Vortech Quits making the supercharger kit for our car

2nd: I was just on custom cougars and the Turbo kit wasn't on there

Does no one make any type of forced induction kit for the V6 cougars anymore? Suggestions are appreciated, since i was planning on a supercharger kit over the winter/spring months!!!

H

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have the street flight kit that didn't blow the motor? I heard from people on here that our engines can't handle boost - even if its only 7-8psi.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I did not have a problem from incorrect tuning I just lost a ring. I don't fault street flight at all. I have 9:1 JE pistons being installed now in my original motor that suffered psiton damage from nitrous and once it's ready we'll swap motors and tune the car again with 15 psi and a turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my 8-10 PSI.... well, except a little over heating problem. Im actually at StreetFlight right now getting my car tuned this minute. Slight pinging, nothing too bad yet. Let us pray...

T

·
0 Posts
hey askiracer.. hah ya i saw you there.. i figured you were on these forums somewhere

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: PhatCatWI
What about superchargers.... I would rather have one of those to give me more low end??
You wont get more low end from a s/c...neither will you get more torque.....againg why go s/c? Ok, easier install and tune, thats about it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: Haba
Does anyone have the street flight kit that didn't blow the motor? I heard from people on here that our engines can't handle boost - even if its only 7-8psi.
That's a load of crap.
What people? Give names or that hearsay is baseless slander.
What proof and hard data? Give such or that again is damaging slander punishable by law. (I swear some people have no concept of what breaks certain laws and just put their foot in their proverbial mouth)

The test mule for the turbo kit has over 10k, well over 1000 dyno runs (yes 1000) and has not had a lick of troubles.

The only engine to date I know of blowing is one from here and I still say based of the owners posts (which have been deleted since) it was the owners fault as he specifically stated he was playing with the boost level (among many other things) prior to the engine failing.

This "said" engine had multiple dyno runs and then several thousand miles on it since the kit was installed with no problems and the problems only arose after those "now suspiciously deleted" posts.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
My motor failed due to a piston ring failure. Boost was never changed nor was any apexi afc settings or msd ign or boost retard settings. My plugs showed no signs of detonation under a magnifying glass. I have faith in the kit but reccomend anyone looking to do a turbo kit to understand that there is a chance you will break something and have to accept that.

I have JE 9:1 pistons being installed in my new motor that will be swapped over.

R

·
0 Posts
its funny how 1 guys engine blows up and people go around saying the streetflight kit sucks because of it even though theres tons of people who have no problems at all

people never take into consideration that alot of times its the users fault

someone cranks the boost up on a stock engine to 15 psi and breaks a piston, they automatically blame it on streetflight

streetflight makes a great kit, and if i didnt have an atx i woulda bought it instead of a 3L (maybe both!)

every engine that i ever heard of a problem with was because either

1) had a 99 and below, with the weak ring lands, and had the boost up to 10+ psi

2) cranked the boost up way too high

3) engine failure not related to the turbo (ie: spun bearing)

you satisfy a customer and he will tell 1 person, you give them a bad experience, they will tell 10 people.

bottom line, quit saying streetflights kit will blow your engine up, its ALOT mroe reliable than the vortech, and makes much better numbers. its a great kit

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
The fact is, for Us Cougar owners, we have yet to hear of a successful COUGAR being turboed by SF and still running... Yes, we may have the same Chassis,Engine, Transmission, etc. as the contour, but there are differences between our cars that can cause us problems... Such differences give us problems such as the common alternator and fuel pump problems that I don't think the contour has as much of a problem as.

Seeing that most of the SF Turboed Contours are doing well really proves well for the SF Kit, and makes it seem more trustworthy, but We just want to be POSITIVE that there won't be any problems before we plunk down $5000, only to find out that the Cougar's design had a flaw that caused our engines to turn into paperweights... At least that's my state of mind when it comes to this kit..

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Originally posted by: naynay
Originally posted by: PhatCatWI
What about superchargers.... I would rather have one of those to give me more low end??
You wont get more low end from a s/c...neither will you get more torque.....againg why go s/c? Ok, easier install and tune, thats about it.
Less parts to break :)

N

·
0 Posts
If a fuel pump and alternator were the only reasons why a Turbo kit would not be good for the Cougar......that would be a joke.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
The fact is, for Us Cougar owners, we have yet to hear of a successful COUGAR being turboed by SF and still running... Yes, we may have the same Chassis,Engine, Transmission, etc. as the contour, but there are differences between our cars that can cause us problems... Such differences give us problems such as the common alternator and fuel pump problems that I don't think the contour has as much of a problem as.

Seeing that most of the SF Turboed Contours are doing well really proves well for the SF Kit, and makes it seem more trustworthy, but We just want to be POSITIVE that there won't be any problems before we plunk down $5000, only to find out that the Cougar's design had a flaw that caused our engines to turn into paperweights... At least that's my state of mind when it comes to this kit..
:disgust::mad::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Originally posted by: Haba

ROTFLMAO!

Guys man. . .don't waste your money on a blower or turbo for the cougar. How many times these guys blew something up and wasted their money (or sponsers) to put a turbo on a trailer queen and blow it up. So well imagine what that would do for a daily driver

:rofl:

Not really trying to bash. But the 2.5 just can't handle that kind of boost reliable. I think since 99 when I joined this site. .it's been proven over and over and over and over hehe. That's one of the reasons why I SOLD my 99 Cougar lol. The aftermarket segiment is falling apart. All the real good performers are out. You are now left with turbos that blows your engine. And then paying up the ass to get the kit to begin with, not including labor on the tiny space that's left.

Make it a show car and put up to a 75 shot of nitrous and you'll be fine. That's easily 13s to low 14s depending on your tranny and alot safter than a turbo. The engine is only seeing that power when you use the nitrous. . .whereas boost from turbo or supercharger you are seeing it all the time.

Not sure about you guys, but when it comes to my money, I make sure things is going to run safely all the time as I have a daily driver.

And if you are looking to go fast. Find another car. Nothing personal against you guys as you all know me. But man I wanted a fast performer. So I traded the cougar off for a 2000 Mustang GT. I played with that for 6 months. It was fast no doubt. Low 14s bone stock. But not fast enough for me. So 6 months later I got the Trans Am. And this beast isn't going anywhere :)

Soon I'll be tapping low 12s, maybe 11s running NA with bolt ons (refer to LS1tech.com if you need info in such regards as they have a top 50 list, stock internals running 11.9s or less). . . and once I achieve that, I'll slap on this nitrous kit running a 100 shot and then hopefully hit 10s if not close enough.

And guess what. I spent 18 Grand on my Trans AM. And still haven't hit 5 grand on mods (including labor) to achieve these goals. :D

I'm already almost hitting 12.5 where I stand now. I was 12.9 on street tires. I not have a set of BFG Drag Radials. . .so with my stall I should be able to cut a 1.5 to 1.6 on my 60' compared to 1.8s on my street tires (yes I've practiced enough. Gotten good on my launches even on streets)

. . this is going to be a good year.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
and btw I am not speaking of streetfighters kit. I'm talking ALL kits so not singling out just one.

You are talking about a weak 2.5L, high compression with boost that will be running all the time. I do not forsee the engine lasting for long. Especially as a daily driver.

I recall james and streetconcepts blowing. Who's fault could be both. I don't know and could care less. But if I was still a cougar owner, I would have to see a kit, on a car. . and run for at least 30K to 50K miles with NO problems. Not being installed and driven to the local gas station and back. . . It Works
:thumbsup: :rolleyes:

And recalling DemonSVT post. . . it takes alot more than what that kid stated to be punishable by law. I know because I've handled it before. He is entitled to his opinion and his opinion alone would not damange any companies name. Takes more than one.

He would have to state the company's name, people he dealt with, bunch of negative comments (such as back yard farm mechinics trying to create a turbo that was made for a John Deer but slapping on a cougar -- as example) and post not on this forum stateing his opinion but all over the net. And also including flyers in their hometown, etc etc etc.

So no by consumer law he is safe.

N

·
0 Posts
LOL.....put that 100 shot on there and kiss your cheap GM goodbye. Post elsewhere......Wow its really hard to get a 350CI motor to run 12's! :rofl::rolleyes:

Try posting that BS on the CEG forums..............

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
LOL you're a funny guy. Calling that BS? Ok check this out:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105062

Stock internal (stock cam, heads, 10bolt rear, intake manifold, etc etc etc) Little weight reduction on a few, rest. . .Just bolt-ons only and drag radials, some with slicks. 50 cars so far, all in the 11s running NA.

As for a GM LS1 5.7 handling a 100 shot of nitrous. . .yea that's some bs. My brothers LS1 handled 23 runs so far on a 100 shot and still kicking. And take a look at LS1tech for more info in regards to what they can and can't take. . . then come back to me saying it's BS.

And as for regarding cougars. . .this is coming FROM a past cougar owner hehe. I had a 99 cougar, body kit, yo-dude exhaust, weapon R intake, and other crap. And I drove it till I hit 120K miles and got rid of it. But she lived in the shop with problems.

And that's running with basically no performance mods. . and having problems? I couldn't imagine the *hit hole a turbo or S/C would do to one for daily driveing. . .and lasting several other thousand miles.

If you want to prove me wrong. Fine. Get a 2.5L cougar. Slap a turbo on it, 6psi since you guys claim it's safe. And run it for 50K miles. Keep a track record of how many repair visits you have made, etc etc etc. Lets see how long that cheap mercury will last.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts