New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story...

I see this WRX wagon-style (dunno what their term is for it), weaving through medium traffic up ahead of me on the way to work this morning, with no turn signals or anything (this was on QEW WB for the Toronto-area people). I end up near him (but still behind) just by the flow of traffic, just at this section where it really lightens up (just after the 427N cutoff going WB out of Toronto), and I get a wide open lane on my right suddenly!

I jump into the lane at the top of third, shift to fourth, he's still about 5 car lengths up, he sees the open lane too, cuts over two lanes to the right and into my lane, now with only about 3 cars on me. We're both gunning it, and I'm closing the gap. We pass the cars on the left (3 lane hwy), and he pulls back into the far left lane, and me into the middle one. Still gaining on him fairly decently. At 185km/hr (115mph) I start passing him, and as I do, I look over and laugh my ass off, and cheer myself. At 190 I was past him, and backed off. He just kept on going!

Nice to know at least SOME WRX's are beatable by a lightly modified Coog! I figure in addition to being the wagon style, he was probably an auto as well. No noticeable mods... looked like a family dude behind the wheel.

My mods:
-CTA Motorsports intake
-optimized TB
-Brullen Y-pipe with hi-flow cat
-Custom SS Magnaflow Exhaust
-FMS 9mm wires
-NGK Iridium Plugs
-Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
-BAT Euro Handling Kit (matched shocks + springs)
-17" Konig Traffiks (15lb/wheel) + Nitto NeoGen 225/45/17

Massiv.

G

·
Dream on, there's absolutely NO WAY that a Cougar with the amount of mods you have will even KEEP up with WRX...but that's my $0.02, after having only driven a couple of stock and (heavily) modified WRX's...

keep on drinkin' Fanta and keep on Fantasizing...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have to call BS, a WRX would own you! You think maybe he/she backed off because 115MPH+ is kinda stupid especially with other traffic on the road.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, sounds dubious - I agree. But, take it for what it's worth. If it was a cheap kill, I wouldn't have posted. Mdloops was in my car recently, and was pretty impressed with how fast it was. Maybe this guy had a clogged air filter or something? Don't think so though. Who knows!? Figure those wagon style guys aren't the most aerodynamic.. plus only 220hp stock. vs. 170 stock, but with a number of good mods.

As for racing in traffic, I definitely agree. We ran when there was no one up ahead, and started when we were just passing someone accellerating just up past normal speed (actually I was doing that, and then he cut in front)

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw, prez... it was methat backed off after passing. (That, and bat light coming on near governor at top of 4th --> alt).

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From car-stats.com:

Car-Stats.com Report for 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
Obtained from R&T May, 2002

Transmission: Automatic

0-60: 6.8
1/4 Mile: 15.2
1/4 Speed: 92

Hmmm... 6.8/15.2?

Definitely in reach for a modified Cougar.

Massiv.

G

·
Same car stats...

0-60: 7.9
1/4 Mile: 16.2

so you're telling me that you gain a whole second with these mods..

CTA Motorsports intake
-optimized TB
-FMS 9mm wires
-NGK Iridium Plugs
-Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
-17" Konig Traffiks (15lb/wheel) + Nitto NeoGen 225/45

Still BS, but than again, if that's story.....enjoy it........and keep on drinkin' that FANTA DOOD...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Miez...

First of all, that's not MY car that was tested and reported on car-stats. You must be aware that some cars are dogs, and some are faster due to all the variables in the manufacturing process stacking up one way or the other. So perhaps my car started out faster? Without baselining my car, and then again, taking measurements after mods, I can't say I gained a full second. Maybe just three quarters of a second?

That said, you took the numbers of the 2000 over the 2001 Cougar also posted which showed a 7.8/16.0. Already .2 sec faster in the quarter, although there should be no real dif between the 1999-2001 model years in performance.

Regardless, the modifications done to my car will probably help most at high RPM (and indeed, my sub 2000rpm driveability is probably not as good as it was stock... or maybe I'm just more dissatisfied with that due to the high rpm power increase)? Running up at high speeds, the engine definitely breathes WAY better than it did stock. In any case, that was the event, and the result. Attribute it to what you wish. You say "BS", I say "try me". Easier for you to still say "BS", and save face, than acknowledge that the gap between the WRX Sport Wagon, and a tuned manual cougar is not that large!.

Massiv.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Originally posted by: Miez
Same car stats...

0-60: 7.9
1/4 Mile: 16.2

so you're telling me that you gain a whole second with these mods..

CTA Motorsports intake
-optimized TB
-FMS 9mm wires
-NGK Iridium Plugs
-Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
-17" Konig Traffiks (15lb/wheel) + Nitto NeoGen 225/45

Still BS, but than again, if that's story.....enjoy it........and keep on drinkin' that FANTA DOOD...

so your telling me when I ran a 15.7 1/4 is bullshit when I have the time slip to prove it? Cougars are faster than what the magazines tested.

I believe you Massiv, good kill, but you drove reclessly, be more careful out there.

G

·
Problems with math, maybe still in skool huh.....

what did I state, 1 WHOLE SECOND.....

Now if my calculations are correct, 16.2 minus 15.7 is still a .5 seconds difference, that's HALF a SECOND MORON...... or you need me to do the math again, just as your highschool teacher.....

Keep on benchracing, both of you ;)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rrrrrrrriiiiiggght.

Anyway, super-pleased that my efforts over the summer paid off on this car! :banana: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Massiv.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
He was racing a wagon wrx... they have a heavier power to weight ratio, and it was at high speeds... we all know the cougar owns at high speeds, as well the wrx is awd... usually their top end isn't as fast because of the extra drive train loss. I'm not beck mark racing you tool, you should know better than to say that to me. All I was pointing out is that it is completely possible that it was a drivers race, and Massiv was willing to take more chances and push his car harder.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ummm, keep in mind that they were already rolling at a good pace when the race started. The WRX gains a lot in the 1/4-mile off of the jump.

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
i for one believe him because awd hurts you at higher speeds, unless it was modified...................but from a stop it would own off the line;)

nice job:thumbsup:

M

·
Registered
404 Posts
Also if Massiv decided to MOD his car I'd assume he takes care of it. Maybe this other guy barely keeps up on changing his oil. And like a couple people have already said AWD doesn't help at high speed. The main reason a WRX gets such a good 0-60 is they can Tack it up and drop the clutch and not just sit there spinning tires.

Also why are you so set to put down his race? I mean if you don't agree just throw up a simple :bs: you don't have to be a dick about it. Did you have a bad day or something?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts