New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW this past weekend My wife and I were driving through Illinois
and saw a silver WRX STI and then going through Chicago saw a
gorgeous Blue STI. We were in her Eclipse and the guy driving (silver STI)
was older and the car was filthy. It looked awesome though love the front end
the spoiler is a little to high for me but has a cool shape. I'll see if I can
get the video into a mpg format. Yes I had my video camera I take
it everywhere now. One thing I didn't like on it was the muffler sticking out
the back. It looks cheap and like it was painted silver or something.
The Blue STI and the Silver had the same pipe so I know it wasn't custom.

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
yeah, there are so many of those here in NC. i love seeing em around and rev em just to hear them rev back, lol. the stock muffler does look cheap but you can get the "custom tip" from suby. it's a nice chrome tip but i think it's the whole system you get and not just the tip. 500 dollars or something. saw it in the wrx book that comes with the car.

M

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: gyger
This is kinda reaching the bounds of Garage Talk but
check this link out
WRX STI stock running 12's
That's just not fair. With every mod possible I will still not get my cougar to run a 12, and this guy is doing it stock!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why micah, what wrx book did you see. It comes with the car, dang! But really, whos car did you see? hehe.

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
Originally posted by: Rosh
Why micah, what wrx book did you see. It comes with the car, dang! But really, whos car did you see? hehe.

i don't remember the guys name off hand..........some freak who fixes video games:rofl:

sweet ass time for that sti................and an insane 60'

M

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
Originally posted by: gyger
This is kinda reaching the bounds of Garage Talk but
check this link out
WRX STI stock running 12's
That's just not fair. With every mod possible I will still not get my cougar to run a 12, and this guy is doing it stock!
if you spent $35000 on your cougar instead of a STi you could.

Mike

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nah, $10K if your smart and cheap, $15K tops. Do a 3.0L swap, turbo or supercharge it, and make it rear wheel drive, with either a mustang or 2nd gen RX7 rear end . That should get you in the 12s.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Seawulf
Nah, $10K if your smart and cheap, $15K tops. Do a 3.0L swap, turbo or supercharge it, and make it rear wheel drive, with either a mustang or 2nd gen RX7 rear end . That should get you in the 12s.
Yes, but if I am dumping $15000 into an engine - I better be doing better than 12's!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i was behind some dude in an sti one time...bastard was goin 50 in 55 on a two lane road....then it would get to a 4 lane and i would try to pass him and he would try racin me....i didn't wanna race i just didn't wanna be stuck behind his granny drivin ass for much longer......he was younger lookin and was sorta pissin me off....would get back down to the two lanes and he'd go slow as hell again.....4 lanes...tried racin me....2 lanes...until i turned off the road....he doesn't deserve such a beautiful car

·
Registered
832 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar

Yes, but if I am dumping $15000 into an engine - I better be doing better than 12's!
No, the $15k was for all the parts needed to make a stock V6 FWD into a turbo'd 3.0L RWD, including engine work, turbo, and parts for a rear wheel drive swap. Figure a stock 3.0L duratec hybrid turbo'd would do an easy 300whp, then hook it up to a RX7 tranny and rear end or mustang tranny and rear end. I'd take serious work and you'd have to source the parts from a salvage yard, but it would be doable.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
$15,000 won't really buy too much...

The engines in Leo capaldi's cougar and the mumm brother's car, which are fully balanced and blueprinted, and able to take a beating, with 280+hp (depending on which engine you are talking about), all NA on a 2.5L.

These engines have $15,000-$25,000 worth of work on them. I know mumm brothers were looking to get 20-25K on the sale of their engines after the cougar project was scrapped.

Then if you're looking for the high power numbers you'll need a driveline to handle it, so expects to drop 10K on a tranny (at min). And that's still FWD.

These people who have 9 and 10 second cars can drop 30K or 100K on the engine depending on its purpose. And of course you're talking about cars that really can't be driven on the street.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You're missing my point. I think it's totally doable to do a REAR WHEEL DRIVE swap on a Cougar using either a Mustang driveline or RX7 driveline. There was a Miata that did a 2.5L duratec swap using a RX7 turbo tranny and rear end. You'd have to get the parts from a salvage yard or pick-n-pull. Then just turbo the STOCK engine and do a 3.0L swap, talking about a V6, for a I4 you'd just need TurboTom's built short block and it's $2200, you might not even need to upgrade a I4, with race gas and bolt ons a stock I4 has hit 300fwhp. I think 300 Rear whp would do 12s on a Cougar that weighed under 3000lbs. I'd take serious fabbing, and i'd want to use the stock engines for weight savings and to make the car easier to drive down the line vs a V8 swap.

Heck, TurboTom's doing 12s on his front wheel drive Focus and I bet he he hasn't spent much more than $15K. He even hit 12s on a stock block turbo SVT Focus and his turbo kit only costs $5500. That was on race gas though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts