New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after many months of being dicked around, InfamousHK finally pulled his cougar, his 3L, his 2.5L, and "all" his parts out of the shop that was supposed to complete his 3L project. Note: This is no fault of his own -- this guy who he has known for YEARS, convinced him to trust him to do the project right.

Timeless420 (full oval port, high-compression 3L), and myself (*fully* built hybrid 3L), agreed to take over the project and finish it off, as InfamousHK was getting nowhere.

The status of the project was: 3L fully built, ready to drop in. Apparently the guy had personal problems and just couldn't get around to finishing it.

Anyway, Timeless and myself agree it would be prudent to at least pull the timing cover and check the timing.

Here is what the engine setup SHOULD have been:
-Full oval port 3L
-Heads ported and port-matched/welded to mate to SVT LIM
-Clevite rod bearings installed
-Ready to drop in.

We also decided to separate the tranny for ease of delving a little deeper, so we did that and then just kept going...

Here is what we found:

-Only 4 out of 7 transaxle bolts in place, one halfway in, hand-threaded
-Porting job on heads does not match LIM completely, differing on all cylinders, some head area "shelf" in airflow
-Missing 2 oil pan bolts into timing cover
-All cam journal caps in incorrect positions, and in various orientations
-No valve spring retainers on 12 valves

-Missing all Hydraulic Lash Adjusters

-Missing all Roller Finger Followers

-Exhaust cam on intake side

-Timing chain guides still have stickers on them on chain-faces
-4 out of 8 LIM bolts missing
-1 header stud missing completely
-Clevites not installed (probably a good thing he lied about this and didn't open the bottom end)
-Harness spliced and hacked beyond recognition
-Chain tensioners still had retaining pins stuck in them

-Welding of injector spots raised above head at LIM interface (would cause air leak)
-Metal shavings in heads and in cylinders themselves (on top of pistons).

The list just kept growing and growing. Couldn't help but think back to all the problems CougarRacinChick had with her build. IF the guy had actually put this engine in, and actually connected the starter motor to power and turned the key... wow! <<shudder>> Can't even think of it.

The lesson here folks, is that if you're doing a complex project like this, you really need to either do it yourself, or you need to be one mind with your shop, and have free access to be in there. No one cares about your engine build as much as you do... some deals are too good to be true!

Massiv.

P.S. No dig on Infamous here... dude misled him, plain and simple. Just wanted to post this up so others think twice about going this route.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Nice. Now you know why I don't let ANYONE else touch my car without my actually being there to watch.

As for builds like this, Massiv is right on the money. If you don't know what you're doing, LEAVE IT ALONE. Have someone who does know either teach you step by step, or hand it to them for finishing.

Good catch on all the problems, Massiv, very thorough. Time to put it together right and run it!

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
yeah this is why I am glad I hang out with DanG alot. So I know what the f**k I am doing when the day comes I wanna do a 3l hybrid.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
That's just ridiculous...

I'm surprised you didn't find engine epoxy in the places where bolts used to be...

Nonetheless...was any money paid for this? I hope InfamousHK gets back anything and everything (money, parts, etc) from that shop.

Glad to hear he was able to get that stuff back, and you guys helped him out there. Good luck piecing that all back together.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This entire ordeal has been an absolute nightmare. The car was dropped off at the shop in February, and towed out only last week when it became apparent that he had no intention of finishing the job.

I am full of regrets, but the should/would/could of's aren't going to get me anywhere. I paid him a $500 deposit in order to start a project that he suverely regressed. That's peanuts compared to the parts that are missing or damaged, and the time lost without my car.

I contemplated cutting my losses and purchasing a new car, but with the money I've invested in parts for this project and my passion to have a 3L cougar that just didn't make any sense.

As hard as it is right now, I'm still optimistic. Massiv and Timeless know these 3L's like the back of their hands and I am very fortunate to have them on board for this project.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
sorry to hear that man. Hopefully you will get it all situated and get your 3l running soon.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm glad you have not completely been through what I am still currently going through...as well as not spending near the amount I have on my engine/trans getting it back to operable conditions...(yea not only did he ruin my 3L engine so bad I had to get a *brand* new engine, he also ruined my trans to the point I had to buy a new one). Currently I'm weighing the idea of cutting my losses and getting rid of my car :(, which for those who know me, is a REALLY big decision.

side note: Oh yea! almost forgot...I've kept an up-to-date story of what I've had to go through with my car since March 26th of last year. If anyone has some time (it's like 10 pages long so far) and wants to read it, I'll be happy to email it to them :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did this guy building the motor have a clue? "Hmm...I've got all these bolts and nuts left over. Is this bad?"

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
If you have any questions let me know I should be able to help out.

I should be finishing up a 3L SVT Contour in a week or two. Black with only 44k miles on it! I bet it would be nice to pick up one that is working so you don't have to spend so much time on it. If anyone is interested let me know. Should be a beast. Car is in phenomenal shape.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
damn Blackcoog you have these 3liters down to a science. I bet you can do one start to finish in almost one weekend.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've done a an entire swap in a 4 day weekend (solo) from pulling the motor, building the shortblock from the bare block w/o crank, to firing and test drive on last day. Only help I had was getting the motor in and out of the engine bay just to make sure I didn't get hung up aony any hoses/cables.

It's really not tha bad, you just have to make sure you have everything in hand otherwise you will waste all you time hunting for tools/parts.

Hopefully Massiv and I will have infamousHK's motor running by next Sunday once he get's his heads back (Fri or Mon) and he can confirm he has all the missing parts/bolts.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Yeah, I just finished swapping out my 2.5L for another 2.5L and I would say that I really only worked on it for 4 to 5 solid days, with my brother helping me two of those days. There was a couple of hours here and there several other days also, but I was taking my time. That and it was damn hot this past month. I could see someone with experience getting it done and 4 days no problem, matter of fact if I busted my ass I could see myself getting it done in 4 days. But, I would have to take a good month off from cars if I got all that done in four days by myself.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
damn Blackcoog you have these 3liters down to a science. I bet you can do one start to finish in almost one weekend.
Just thought I'd say that I did finish the 3L swap last weekend. Engine pulled, stripped, built up, and installed. It took me a few more days to get the fuel rail made up and to weld up the EGR so it fit perfectly. So now that I know how to do the custom stuff. A weekend shouldn't be a problem. :) BTW the car is forsale if anyone is looking. See sig... :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.