New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is something i found that seems inexpensive and easy to use that i believe can be used to spray fiberglass resin into the matting -in other words eliminating the need for brushing... just wondering what some of you think?

·
Registered
517 Posts
no.
use a paintbrush(home depot 87 cents 2" brush) and just paint it on making sure you get it to saok into the cloth fibers.
if you really want to spray it youll need a very good respiratior, a paint suit and an area that is much like a paint booth so the fumes and overspray wont go all over. spraying fiberglass is horrible unless you have a glass room, and the 10,000 dollar glass gun machine.
for small aplications painting it on works just fine. ive been doing it for years and have had no problems with any fiberglass work
josh

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aight thanks. i've done some glassing, i have molds made for the rear corners of my trunk right now. i actually believe the best method (after the time consuming first mold from inside the car) is to have a large pan of resin mixed up, and dip sheets of glass in it so they get soaked up completely.. then put them on and soon you'll have enough resin sitting on the mold that you can just throw layers of glass on the mold and do all the layers at once in just a matter of minutes. and i know you'll say that it will overheat or whatever... wrong. my uncle has done a lot of glass work, he repaired a large hole in his boat and fixed a busted up camaro ss hood that way and they've been goin strong for years.

·
Registered
517 Posts
you can do multiple layers and thats fine just make sure you dont have air bubbles between the layers. and try not to use so much resin that you have a puddle of resin. its the mat that has the strength, so extra resin = extra weight!
later
josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.