New Cougar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do shaving and frenching on my car but can't afford to repaint the pannels. I have always liked matte black 50 Merc Lead Sleds. Would this be cheaper? My body guy told me not to use black primer unless I seal it with clear. He made it sound almost involved as a normal paint job. Wont the clear that make it look half baked, semi shiny, and make it more expensive?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW my car is Light Sapphire Blue.

·
Administrator
11,633 Posts
Don't ruin the LSB color! The flat black, I think, wouldn't look good on our cars. Someone here took photos of their car totaly primered black before being painted & it didn't look too great. Just looks like you don't have the money to finish painting your car.

I would save until you can finish the job right.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
it would look like a stealth bomber... no reflection, no shine, nothing...............
get those red demon eye thingies, make sure you have a stock exhaust (so its quiet) and black rims with a chrome lip, and slam it on groundcontrols.

damn that would be scary :tongue: heh!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
i think it could look good, but not with just plain flat black. you need a little bit of shine to bring out the lines of our cars. here are some pics if a cougar that i saw around my city that didnt have the front dragon z bumper painted, or the fenders (but the fenders were stock, yet primer grey for some reason :confused;). if you made the paint kinda like the dragon z front, then i think it would look good. but if it was like the sides, or even a black with that little of shine on it, it wouldnt look good. thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
884 Posts
i've got the flat black finish on the insert on my hood. You can see it on my cardomain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ND4SPD I totally had that idea. Get it registered in New Mexico so you can get full limo tint windshield. Drive around wearing a Darth Maul mask :p a flat black cougar would scare the judges of any import show. They would give you the trophy in fear of retaliation.

On the serious note can anyone find a pic of a cougar in black primer? The only thing that makes me think twice is I have the rare LSB, and it looks pretty dang good.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
ive seen a flat black s-10 with red metal flake flames, looked hott! id say go for it if theres something else you going to do to the paint scheme.

G

·
Copycat, if you do get your car painted flat black, post some pics. I'm intrested in doing this as well, and am curious how it would turn out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to paint it flat black once I trick out the doors. (dang it I need to learn how to weld) Untill then the lights and interior are the first victims. I ordered extra lights so I can drive while I work on them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
ive seen a matt black audi tt and it look's awesome very menacing and very scary altho he had some pretty bright almost chrome wheels set it off a treat,i think executed well it will look stunning.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
obviuosly none been to kali lol, i think it might look ok but ya never know till some1 does it! but they used to do that to older cars the paint job is called california suede (def...many cans of krlyon lol)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey I live in compton home of the rattle can paint job. Krylon is for the preppy rich boyz from pasadena, you don't get no street cred if it aint Rustolum! BTW I bought a dremmel to work on my tail lights. The tails cut real nice and turn into a type of magic silk that spoils around the chuck and makes the room smell like happyness. I gotta open a window I can see sounds and wanna sing the Rainbow Brite theme song. Rainbow Brite see the shining light, ladadada.....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
the bodyshop told you to clear over black primer is because some types of primer will actually absorb water. It wouldn't be long untill you have a rust bucket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
use krylon satin black ive done a few cars with it comes out great if your good with a can of paint. you can even get a paint shop to use flat clear over top for cheap!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Rallying to save the lsb...o the irony

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.