New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the amount of snow/salt we've experienced over the past few weeks - just wondering if it is worth getting some rust protection done on the underside, engine, etc. Haven't really seen any Cougars with rust, so don't know if it's worth it or not. If you guys do recommend it, do you also have a location/price?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Okay... I'll say this once ;)

RustCheck is the way to go. Do it once every year if you drive your car in the winter... once every two years if you don't (theory is, you'll still get caught in a 'little' bit of salt during the beginning and/or end of the driving season).

If you guys plan on keeping your Cougars like I do mine, treat her once every Fall season to a RustCheck coating. They don't do the engine bay, they don't spray your paint, and it's proven the best rust protection available. Also, I think it's a shay less then $120.

Darrell.

·
3L Roush
4,387 Posts
If you guys plan on keeping your Cougars like I do mine, treat her once every Fall season to a RustCheck coating. They don't do the engine bay, they don't spray your paint, and it's proven the best rust protection available. Also, I think it's a shay less then $120.
I get my car done at KROWN. They DO spray the engine bay. It only costs me $110. ;)

I just don't get why its such a big deal for them to spray in the engine bay. Anyone care to elaborate? :shrug:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
i have nightmares whenever i think of rust proofing in my enging bay :cover:

when i bought my current cougar (in 01) ... it had been rustproofed by the dealership when it was brand new, so by the time i got it, the rustproofing was 2 years old. Then i put the car through a winter before cleaning it, so when i FINALLY cleaned the engine bay, there was three... probably 4 years of pain-in-the-ass rust proofing on it.

It took me DAYS guys... .DAYS! heh :tongue: like... 2 or 3, and a bottle of Castrol engine cleaner, and a bottle of Simple Green to finally be able to touch anywhere in my engine bay, and only have the normal engine grease and dirt on my hands.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Atlas and Mike.....not to sound like an ass....but trust me. When they did the rust proofing on my car THEY RUST PROOFED IT. everyone (allmost) in here can vouch that they over did it. My hood and trunk were literally CAKED SHUT. it took me 3hrs and 2 bottles of degreaser to get it all off.

MIKE: You have seen my engine bay....notice everything is tarnished yellow?

One other thing we have not mentioned....

DRIPLESS vs. NON DRIPLESS

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Originally posted by: hamill
My hood and trunk were literally CAKED SHUT. it took me 3hrs and 2 bottles of degreaser to get it all off.
That might be an extreme situation... I hardly even noticed that mine had been rustchecked.. seriously. My expreience was great. And it's because of what Matt said that I want to keep my engine bay free from rust checking. Actually, I told them not to RustCheck my engine bay... so maybe that's why it wasn't done :shrug:

Anyways... which ones are dripless and non-dripless? I guess RustChecking is Non-Dripless?

Darrell.

·
3L Roush
4,387 Posts
Dan,

what company did you use? I know with KROWN, the mixture doesn't dry. It stays in a liquid state, so come summer time, the clean-up is quick and easy. :)

Do they even HAVE dripless rustproofing? I dont know how effective that would be. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Dripless is what I got. the oil is in a gel like state....hence why everything got stuck shut. I had no idea they sprayed the engine bay, therefore did not request they NOT do it. With a drip (regular) they reccomend every year, dripless I was told you can wait up to 2-3 years (and after seeing it...I can believe it).

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
i have nightmares whenever i think of rust proofing in my enging bay :cover:

when i bought my current cougar (in 01) ... it had been rustproofed by the dealership when it was brand new, so by the time i got it, the rustproofing was 2 years old. Then i put the car through a winter before cleaning it, so when i FINALLY cleaned the engine bay, there was three... probably 4 years of pain-in-the-ass rust proofing on it.

It took me DAYS guys... .DAYS! heh :tongue: like... 2 or 3, and a bottle of Castrol engine cleaner, and a bottle of Simple Green to finally be able to touch anywhere in my engine bay, and only have the normal engine grease and dirt on my hands.
Originally posted by: hamill
Atlas and Mike.....not to sound like an ass....but trust me. When they did the rust proofing on my car THEY RUST PROOFED IT. everyone (allmost) in here can vouch that they over did it. My hood and trunk were literally CAKED SHUT. it took me 3hrs and 2 bottles of degreaser to get it all off.

MIKE: You have seen my engine bay....notice everything is tarnished yellow?

One other thing we have not mentioned....

DRIPLESS vs. NON DRIPLESS
The problem here (and I just noticed it) was you guys got your car RustProofed not RustChecked. There is a difference, and HUGE difference. Don't ask me what it is now, cause I can't remember... but I did my research about 2.5 years ago now and I remember thinking to myself, "damn, RustProof sucks big time, I'm never doing that". And RustProof was a lot cheaper then RustCheck too... but you get what you pay for.

Try searching the net for both RustProof and RustCheck

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
ok...I searched....and to be honest, besides a bunch of flashy ads, and vague desrciptions of how it "weather proof's your vehicle in all crevaces and forces out moisture" crap, didn't find what the actual stuff is. Rust Check, looks like a clear bedliner basically. It coats what's there. Much like an oil underguard. It's just fancy terminoligy.

Now, there are 3 types of oil underguard. All protect against the same thing. But have different viscosity's. I reccommend getting the drip because you can clean it off, but it will leave stains in your laneway. Dripless will last longer, but is harder to clean off, and over time will tarnish or stain plastic, and UIM's (it burns on).

Here is what the 3 types are...

EDIT: And Atlas...my car turns 6 this summer, has been through 5 winters and I have 0 rust (besides a couple bolts that were in the front bumpers, and the exhaust hangers. So both do the same thing to protect.....at least based on my car...

And might I add, my car has NEVER spent a night in the garage (accept at Ford) until November of this year when I put it away for the first time. So it has seen ALL weather. including flooded streets. (which was a likely cause of alternator #3 dying)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts