New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 1997 Acrua 3.0 CL (180K) yeserday for a sweet looking 2000 Cougar with 52K. My question is this: The dealer (Autopark Superstore/Mitsubishi - Burlington) is offering a 3 year/60K extended warranty that basically covers everything (including the powertrain) for $1,700+tax.
Is it worth buying this extended warranty? I've been reading this forum, as well as all the other reviews (carreview.com, etc) and it appears that the most common parts to go are; alternator, fuel pump, power window motor, few people had tranny problems, O2 Sensors... I'm going to call some repair shops tomorrow and get some parts/labour pricing on these items - but figured I'd might as well ask the "experts" who drive these cars daily...

Any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks.
ps. picking the car up Tuesday (Jan 20) afternoon, so need to decide before then.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I say get it.....

I have a 1999 (bought new 1998) and since I'm on my 5th alternator in 5 years (2 in 2003, 1 in 2002, 1 in 2001) I can honestly say get it. Many members have had their fuel pumps go, and if it has a sunroof, beware the tracks breaking. If I were to add up my bills I would have paid, they would be well over $5000.

It's still your call though.

EDIT: and welcome to the boards, what color is the car you're picking up?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I also say go for it. Just really pay attention to the fine print. Some used car extended warranties are extremely restrictive in terms of what they cover. With this car, it's nice to have the security blanket of a warranty.

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
yeah i got the extended warrenty on mine when i bought it and was under the impression that it was for everything aswell...then the super fine print says catastrophy warrenty only ....basically just the engine and power train..i hope they consider alternator part of the engine...hehe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks for the input - I think I'll make my calls to the mechanics tomorrow, and see some parts/labour pricing. But I think if I hear you guys right... it's worth the cost now, to save some bucks later on!

I purchased a Green Tourmaline one with the Sports, and Convience package. No sunroof though.. :( Also, don't have the ABS which I find a little strange that's its not standard on these cars. It has the 6 disc CD Changer in the trunk, but only the radio/cassette up front... so, that's going to have to be replaced in couple of months.
Actually, not too fond of the green colour (My Acura was originally Green too, and had that painted a custom Blue) - might do the same with the Cougar in the spring... we'll see how the finances are!..

Anyways, thanks again for the quick responses. My Acura CL had a pretty good following on the net, but there was never a "Toronto Chapter"... I think this is going to be a great message board to be part of.
thanks,
Omes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's actually not a Ford Extended Warranty - it's through a company called Easy Care (www.easycare.com). From the literature I received it lists each and every part that it warrantied. Everything from the alternator, to oil pan, to ABS Control Unit, to radio to etc.. It does not however cover the shocks, or McPhereson struts... I can take the car to any Ford Dealer, and they'll accept it.

S

·
0 Posts
Why not go w/ a Ford Extended Warrantee? Or can you? I had one when I still owned my coug and felt it was worth it. Plus when I sold they refunded the unused portion :biggrin:

·
Registered
656 Posts
If the car is still under basic warranty, I would buy a Ford "New Vehicle ESP".....

If it's over basic warranty, get a Ford "Used Vehicle ESP"

THe ford ones are great, no hassle. THe aftermarket companies, (Fadagard, EasyCare, etc) start to give serious, serious hassles when the warranty costs they are paying start get high.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so Much... did some research, and yes found out that the Easy Care Warranty is not as good as I expected. Unfortuanltey, not buying the car through a Ford Dealer, so can't get their extended warranties - but I still have about 8 months, 8000KM left on the original facotry warranty....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
you are still eligible to buy an extended warranty if you have some of your original factory warranty left...just go to any ford dealer, it doesn't matter if you bought it from a ford dealer or not...

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Just as a heads up Omes.

I'd buy it off Goose, if he didn't tell you, he actually works for Ford, and trust me, he's good for his word.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet - thanks Goose... I'll email you the VIN later this morning..
Anyways, picked up my Cougar yesterday afternoon, and she is one sweet ride!!!!. The car looks like it's moving, even when she's standing still. See below for some early observations.
1. The driving position is great. I find the seat so comfortable, it really hugs your body.
2. Interior dash is pretty cool looking.
3. Love the keyless entry/alarm.
4. I just wish I could drive the car from the outside... everybody but the driver gets to enjoy the appearence..!!!

see ya'

M

·
0 Posts
congrats on the purchase .. look forward to meeting you at one of the meets ... you'l just have to wait till the weather gets better to see my car

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Originally posted by: OmesV62K
Sweet - thanks Goose... I'll email you the VIN later this morning..
Anyways, picked up my Cougar yesterday afternoon, and she is one sweet ride!!!!. The car looks like it's moving, even when she's standing still. See below for some early observations.
1. The driving position is great. I find the seat so comfortable, it really hugs your body.
2. Interior dash is pretty cool looking.
3. Love the keyless entry/alarm.
4. I just wish I could drive the car from the outside... everybody but the driver gets to enjoy the appearence..!!!

see ya'
haha...i remember when i used to get all misty eyed and sentimental about my car :tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts