New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have done a search on this topic, and I just wanted to ask some advice and maybe clear a few things up in my mind. Every once in a while, I am having trouble getting the transmission to come out of park. Now, after doing the search on here, I can add a few more strange things.

#1 - If it won't come out of Park, I can turn the wheel about half way either direction, press on the brake, and 9 times out of 10, it will slip right out of Park.

#2 - It doesn't have this problem all of the time

#3 - Brake lights work fine, IF the engine is running. If the engine is off, no brake lights (is this normal??)

#4 - After crawling under the dash to try to find the brake switch, I believe I found it. Its right at the top of the brake pedal. I noticed that it was kinda "****ed" to the left. I was able to just grab it and straighten it up. It moved side to side very easy, is that normal??

#5 - Ford says my Cougar is not covered by the re-call (its a '99) DRATS!

Ok, I guess I have two questions:

#1 - Can a bad brake switch act intermediate like this? I thought if one went bad, it was bad...period.

#2 - How hard is it to change this switch out?

Thanks for any help and advice, I appreciate it because I am going on a trip tomorrow and don't want to get stranded.

Gregg

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Is your steering wheel straight when you can't get it out of park? In one of my cars when the wheels are turned and the key is shut off sometimes it won't let me take the key back out. Maybe it's the same concept.

Other than that, like Jason said the brake lights don't come on unless the car's running.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I replaced the brake switch today, that seems to have taken care of the problem. For future info, the switch is very easy to replace. Just remove the lower plastic dash panel thats under the steering wheel. You can see things much easier that way. The switch is black in color, you just twist it and pull out towards you. The connector is held on with a metal "C" type clip that you can pop off with a screw driver.

Piece of cake

Thanks for the help
Gregg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm going to bring this topic up again...after replacing the brake switch...I thought I had this licked...but no....its doing it again, and I'm about to rip my hair out. The strange thing is that its MUCH worse when the weather is cold outside. I've noticed that the warmer it gets outside, or later in the day, it comes out of park much easier. Has anyone got any other ideas???

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
The brake switch is wired to a solenoid that is part of the parking mechanism. Remove your center console and you will see a solenoid near the shifter tower that deactivates when you press the brake down and trip the switch. Try to replace the solenoid and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just so that you don't get stranded somewhere... If you take the shift plate out (the thing that has the gears written on it) you will be able to see the solonoid that FastCougar mentioned... If it doesn't work - just move the little stopper thing by hand and you will be able to shift. It'll help until you get it fixed...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you all, I will try that. Do you have any idea how much the solonoid is?.

I really appreciate all the help
Gregg

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I just tried to look it up on fordpartsonline.com, but I couldn't find it because I have no idea what it is called! Try to go on that website and email them for help. Hopefully they will know what part it is. Otherwise you could call your dealer and ask them for a part number.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts