New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiring Q: Interior Neons

First off, this is not another question on how to get a wire through the firewall :)

Now, I've purchased a couple neon tubes for under the dash, and a couple neon license plate frames for nuder the seats. I have the ones under the dash installed, but I don't have the frames yet in the mail, so I'll have to figure out how to mount those later. For now, I'm just thinking, how will I hook these up? Here is my plan, please let me know if there is something I'm missing...

My plan is to join all 4 neon tubes together (pos. to pos., and neg. to neg. obviously) then tap my closed unit with a same guage wire for the ground, and then another same-guage wire that will connect to the switch then to a 12-volt ignition power lead.

Is that it? What about fuses? Do I need those? If so, where do I put them and what kind do I need?

Something else, I went to RadioShack for the toggle switch, told the guy what I was doing, and he gave me the switch. This is what he gave me:

Toggle Conmutador
20 AMP 125 VAC/CA
10 AMP 277 VAC/CA
3/4 HP/CV 125-250 VAC/CA

Do I have the right switch?

Thanks.
Darrell.

·
Registered
517 Posts
RE: Wiring Q: Interior Neons

get a better looking switch. try a pep boys. they have nice round LED switches for 5 bucks a peice. otherwise try SelectProducts- they also have some nice switches.
josh

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

We don't have a PepBoys or a SelectProducts here in Newfoundland, Canada. But I do like the switches that I have... I wanted just a plain looking big toggle switch.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
RE:Wiring Q: Interior Neons

Just use a standard 3-prong switch, but you may not want to have all 4 lights on the same switch. It can cause the lights to be dim. 2 lights to a switch is a safe way to go. No fuses needed, just wire them right to the switch.

All you have to do is join the 2 lights together making 1 power lead and 1 ground lead. Then ground the negative lead from the lights to a metal source near where the lights will be mounted. Then run the power lead to the accessory (usually middle) power prong on the switch. Then run another ground from the negative prong of the switch to a piece of metal near where the switch will be mounted. Then run a power lead from the 12V power prong on the switch to a power source (cigarette power line, a fuse in the fuse box, where ever you want to tap power from). That's it.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts

would it be possible to wire the neons in series? Like wire the power to the positive side of one neon, and connect the negative of that neon to the positive of the next? Or would that not be good because of the built in transformers?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE:Wiring Q: Interior Neons

My switches are not like that, EllenD.

My underbody neon switch looks like this: (looks like what your 3 prong switch sounds like)

But my interior neon switches look like this: (only 2 prongs)

Please don't tell me I have the wrong switches, because I already install them :(

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
the 3 prong switches light up
2 prongs don't
all a switch does it complete a circuit
if it has 3 prongs, the third is for a light

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, that makes since... thanks.

Stupid boy leaving now... :)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: tad

if it has 3 prongs, the third is for a light
This is not true -- in some cases it may be, but by saying this you make it sound like all 3 pronged switches are lit. There are SPDT switches, where depending on which orientation the switch is located in, is the path that is taken, so the middle prong could be a constant power source, and the two leading prongs could be two different items that needed to be powered separate from each other.

Just wanted to mention that... (although in your case, the 3 prong switch is clearly for a ground for the light)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It is possible to use a 2-prong switch, it just doesn't have an accessory power prong. So basically what you have to do is have 2 wires on the 12V power prong instead of one. Not a problem, but 3-prong switches are much easier. Either way don't put more than 2 lights on one switch.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And then wire the two negative leads on the other prong?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No, you don't need to do that. Just ground the lights wherever they are located, and then ground the switch inside close to where it is mounted. Grounds are easy, they don't require a power source or anything, so you can just ground them directly wherever they are located.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks EllenD! I like doing stuff myself (better quality work) but I like to be exactally sure as to what I am doing.

Darrell.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Not a problem Darrell, any other questions just post them. I like doing stuff myself too, that's the only way to do it, even if you screw-up at least you gave it your best shot. And remember, nothing is unfixable with the right amount of money!!!

Ellen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.