New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have my radar detector wired into my car instead of having that ugly cord dangling across my dash. My ultimate dream would to be to have it hooked up to one of the dead switches but when I read the how-to's I don't think I'd be able to do all of that. A simple on/off toggle switch would be good enough for me. Now I realize this question has been asked in the past but I couldn't find enough info. I would appreciate all the responses you cougar-heads could give me...ideas...suggestions...where i could wire it into...what you have done...anything! THANKS!!

P.S. - I have never done any wiring before. I'm deprived :( ... haha try not to be TOO technical...I've learned a lot from this site though.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You can run the black wire to any ground in the vehicle, and the red to a switch. You could make one of the dead panel switches functional, or add a switch somewhere (under the headlight switch panel is a good place). Then run the other output on the switch to a 12v source.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to put a toggle switch under the steering wheel, to the left...under the headlight switch. Where would I find a ground and 12v power source nearby?? Again...not electrically inclined. Thanks!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks a lot, I'll give that a try here in the next few days. haha...I have mono right now so I can't hardly talk, let alone go to work and I can't go to classes at the university, nothing better to do than work on the ol' cougar!! :) Thanks again...I'd still like to know from anyone else how and where they have theirs hooked up...

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I wired mine to one of the toggle switches on my shift plate. I believe the 12V source I used is from the cigarette lighter, but the ground wire came from a big bolt directily under the steering wheel, because I divided that wire up to ground the other 3 switches on my shift plate. If you look at this pic, the black switch is for the radar detector.

Mike

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a sweet setup....the insdie of your car is kick-ass! I love that... to install the toggle, you just have to drill a hole? then what? Sorry, I've never done this before...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK...say i go ahead and screw a hole for my toggle switch to go into...how does it stay sturdy in that hole? superglue? haha...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so that means when your dome light is on, so is your radar? ....that still doesn't answer my question of how to get a switch to stay in the dash/mounting place....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, that's a big help, thanks. Yeah, I bought just a reg 3 prong switch so it should work pretty simple. When I wire it into the 12v power, how do i connect the wire to the cig lighter fuse?? sorry...stupid question...but I don't know the answer :( ..

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: AmesBlackCat
You have a constant 12 volts in your dome light to work the maplights.
that's not a constant power, that's a switched power. If you wired them to that you would have to drive around with the dome light on, or like you said, take out the dome light bulb. If you want to put a toggle switch on or around the dash area like I did, you need to take apart the dash. If you take apart the center piece where the radio is, put your hand behind the ciggy lighter, and you should feel wires. There's 2 wires, a 12V and a ground, not sure which one is which tho (I can't remember if they're different sizes or not...if so, then the 12V is the thicker one). There's your constant 12V power. Run a wire from that to one of the prongs on your switch (The switch should be marked '12V', 'Ground', and 'Accessory'). Then, you need to ground the 'Ground' prong to something metal. With the 'Accessory' prong you take the power wire from the radar detector, then you have to also ground the other wire from the radar detector. Hope that helps.

Mike

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think this is a mod that if you have no electrical experience you should watch someone else do it your first time. I have 2 questions though...I am getting a grasp on this. When you find the 12v power to the ciggy butt, do you cut it and make 2 wires coming often it; one to the 'power prong' and one to the ciggy butt? 2nd question, in order to ground the 'ground prong' you have to run a wire to a piece of metal, right?? the way you wrote it, it made me think that you had to mount the switch almost on a piece of metal....;) thanks a whole lot

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
when you find the 12V wire coming from the ciggy plug, you strip away some of the covering, exposing the copper wire. Then you take another wire, strip the end of it, and either solder or wrap it around the exposed ciggy plug wire, so that they make contact. Then you tape it up real good. Then attach this new wire to the power prong. For the ground prong on the switch, just run a wire from that prong to any thing that's metal. (For instance, you can attach a ring terminal to the end of the wire, then find a bolt somewhere on the car. Take out the bolt, put it through the ring terminal, then tighten it down)

Mike

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ohhh i see now...just be sure to disconnect the battery, huh? :) haha i'd have some crazy hair...i'm gonna read thru all this, think, look at my car and attempt this tonight, ill let ya know how it works....thanks

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking at the toggle switch, each of the 3 prongs has a hole...how do i permanently attach a wire to one of those holes? do i tape it there?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
there are actually connectors you can buy...they crimp onto the end of the wire, and they slide right over the prongs. Or if you're good at soldering, you strip the end of the wire, slip it through the hole, then solder it on. I suggest using the connectors, it's easier and faster if you ever need to take the switch out.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts