New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a BatCap soon. I have a second battery in the trunk and will be running two amps. Do I wire it just like regular capacitors and place it after the 2nd Batt and before the amps?

I only ask because I thought I had seen somewhere that you are supposed to wire them up like:
2nd batt ---> amps ---> BatCap.

Anyone who has one or knows anything about this please enlighten me, thanks

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
yea because the + wire shouldn't be any more than about 12 inches away from the amp terminal.

Mike

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Hey Jason can you post some pics of your audio system mainly how you wired your batcap.

I just want to know since caps are shaped like cylinders (AA battery) which can be easily mounted in brackets. (like in mine I screwed it to the back seat)

But when I saw a batcap it looks more of a car battery (square)

So do I need a battery trunk kit and where is the best place to put it in the trunk (I know it has to be less than 12" from the amps)

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get the BatCat 800 (i think) it's about the size of a battery but I'm going with the smaller 300 so it can be put just about anywhere.

What's the closer than 12" away deal? I have no idea what you're talking about.

thanks

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
When dealing with caps the main rule is - it has to be less then 12" away from the amp its supplying the power to.
If its more then a feet or so then the cap is useless

This is a rule and a fact cus it says the same thing in instructions with every cap

I think the reason is power is lost in the wires so the longer the wire less power travels.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess to me it just doesn't make sense, the 12" rule, because you run your main power line back from the hood. Just my thought.

thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
yes you do run the mainline from the hood back the 17 ft and over that distance through resitance in the wire you lose the volts that will drive your system to its fullest...bat and regular caps store and regulate the power going to your amps...therefore in order for them to work the way they shoudl and the way the manufacturer describes it has to be within a foot of the drain source...so as to not lose any power to resistance...hopefully your amp can take atleast an 8 awg wire too, or you are right and it wont matter anyway because you will lose any needed power through a smaller wire anyway..i have four awg from the hood back to my cap and only 10 inches of 8 awg to my amp..besure that all your grounds are thicker or atleast the same size as your power wires too..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.