New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read throguh most of the threads on wires and such can someone give me there input on these upgrades. Ford Racing sounds good because I get a dealer discount are these wires good? also what plugs do i match with these? Do i get coil pack at Ford too or is better aftermarket out there...?And lastly someone tell me where to get a good hyperformance alternator because the stock one is junk already replaced 16 months ago dead again...113k miles and still chugging but barely.. Ready to put a set a balls on this cat..:smoke-t::spam::cover::thumbsdn::thumbsup::tongue::ugh::wave::ugh::tongue::thumbsup::thumbsdn::cover::spam::smoke-t:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
113k miles and you just now want to mod? Spend the $$ and get a 30k old 3.0, Gut the precats with the motor out, and start from there in my opinion.

the FR wires are superfluous without a hotter spark or multiple spark discharge unit* so id just replace them with stock wires.
Get Motorcraft 32 series double platinum plugs
and get an Autozone Duralast alternator :thumbsup:

* M.S.D. would torch the stock ignition system. in That case you'll need an aftermarket coil pack and FR wires, but i think (someone correct me if im wrong) aftermarket coilpacks are only available for Zetecs

·
is a pop sensation
13,675 Posts
I went with the Ford Racing wires. Not only are they a quality spark plug wire and nice little cosmetic upgrade, they are also about half the price of the stock wires.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Terry Haines has assured me that the standard ignition system in the Cougar is good for well over 300hp. There is no reason to upgrade the actual ignition system in our cars, although you definately should upgrade the plugs and wires.

E1

·
8,627 Posts
Originally posted by: sonza68
I went with the Ford Racing wires. Not only are they a quality spark plug wire and nice little cosmetic upgrade, they are also about half the price of the stock wires.
I found the same thing. http://www.batinc.net/ has them in several colors. I went with red to match the exterior! :)

One question: do they fit in the stock plug wire holders? Please say yes...

Thanks.
--RJ

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Nope... They're too big for the stock wire looms. Ford also sells color-matched wire looms, but like many others, I just zip-tied my wires into the grooves in the stock looms.

Massiv.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was already going to get the Ford Racing Wires, but what spark plugs are best? Neil mentioned Motorcraft 32 series double platinum plugs, are those the ones to get ore are others better. I know I have heard good things from Bosch.

·
is a pop sensation
13,675 Posts
If you take a dremel and open up the grooves for the wires, the stock wire organizers can be used with the Ford Racing wires.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Motorcraft or Autolite DP plugs. (NGK coppers are also good for boosted or nitrous applications)

Magnecore or OEM quality replacement wires.

FMS wires have shown a high and early failure rate. They may be cheaper but you will have to change them often so that negates any price savings!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.