New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup everyone?! i have a question about the strobes. i know i can extend the positive wire and the ground wire if they are too short but i was wondering if i can extend the wires that are connected to the actually strobe light. (the black and white wire) The speed control box for the strobe lights have to be where water cannot leak in. So, i was thinking about extending the lights from the strobes(black and white wires)so that the speed control box can reach to my interior. Does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about? i know it sounds confusing, but i need all the help i can get!! Thanks!!!

Jay Yu

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
So wait, let me paint a picture. It goes: strobe light => 2 wires => speed control box => 2 wires => power source/ground.. If this is the case, you can cut any wires here and extend them. Just don't confuse the + and - wires when splicing them together. Also, use crimp connecters to make things easier. As long as you have a + and - wire, you can always extend them to any length you want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep thats the exact diagram i'm talking about. so i can extend the wires that are between the Strobe lights speed control box right? coo! what do the crimp connectors look like? thanks for the help

Jay

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah, what kind of wires should i get to extend the strobe light wires? is there any specific kind?

P.S. sorry for all the dumb questions

·
Registered
364 Posts
with the strobe lights that i have, it says right on the box in big letters "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT AND EXTEND WIRES FOR STROBE LIGHTS" never tried and never knew why..... just my $.02

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, installed my sisters strobes in the rear tail lights so i had to extend the negative and positive terminals, and they work out great! but i just didn't know whether i how or if i could extend the wires that lead from the speed control box to the the actual strobe light. but other than that, i know that you can extend the wires somehow.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
OK, on some types the strobe kit should have a second ground wire which ties into the strobe bulb itself...I just installed 3 sets into the headlights of a 2002 camry and the 3rd set needed to be extended and when I cut the 3 wires to extend them, the whole resistor panel in the speed control burned out when I plugged them up to the battery, and dont think I got the wires confused, im sure about wires... Cutting the wires is a bad idea...anyone have better luck with this?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
The reason that you're not supposed to extend the cabling is for two reasons. First of all, there is the possibility that you might reverse one of them, but more importantly, the resistance put into the circuit by the extension in the wiring can cause a starvation of power to both the lights and the control box, which can in turn burn them out. Sounds crazy, but most of those strobe light kits that are under 50 bucks have a very slim ratio for resistance, and even another 12" of wire can throw everything off. Might work for a while if you are lucky, but sooner or later, you'll burn through the wire... besides, if you're going to put strobe lights somewhere that won't normally reach, then you may want to look at the Streetglow ones, where the transformer has approx 3ft of wire between the box and each light, which should be quite adequate for any strobe application.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yeah you cant expect much off a 10$ set of strobes, but I did replace some resistors in the speed control box and got it to work, and even flash faster, so far this 2002 camry has 4 sets of strobes goin, and room for 1 more:biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts