New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the driver side is 22 inches and passenger side is 20 inches. are you planning to replace the whole blade? you can actually pick up some rubber inserts (which is just the rubber part, without the metal blade) from the dealer, and it's very simple to replace.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks blitz - i'm now a little lost on this 2 piece thing...could you explain it in more detail? - i didn't know they were two pieces. the reason i need to replace them is that there is a strip of metal which has torn the rubber piece that attaches into the arm, and the metal piece is coming out the end of the wiper. the blade is now not straight where it is not supported by the metal strip and is buckling and not wiping so well.
thanks if you can shed any light on this

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, actually, the wiper blade consist of 3 pieces, the blade, which is the metal blade which has all the hinges and clamps, the blade backing, which is the two silver metal strips the gives the rubber insert the support (I think that's the piece that's sliding out on yours), and the soft rubber insert itself.
you can purchase a set of wiper inserts/refills from the dealer, and just replace that part. you just have to pull the rubber insert off from the black metal blade sideways, becareful, if only slide out one way, look at both end of the wiper, and you will find one side that is slightly bigger, put from this side, and it will slide out. the silver metal backing should come out with it, it might be a little difficult on yours since the silver pieces are already sliding out. after you get it out, remove the silver metal strips from the rubber insert, and put it on the new insert. make sure you put them back the same way it came out, because the silver metal pieces are curved and it has to be in the right side in order for the wiper to contact the windshield properly. and after you put in the silver strips, you can just slide it back into the black blade the exact same way you've removed it, and pull it until the bigger end of the insert snaps into the first clamp on the black blade. confusing huh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.