New Cougar Forum banner

Winter Road Driving and Salt in General

727 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  PGCougar 
#1 ·
Obviously....salt is bad for your car, least i'd imagine considering how bad it rusts stuff by where i live...anyway....i was wondering.

In the winter it's not always easy to wash your car off after driving on the roads or have access to unfrozen water source.

Is there a time table of how long before salt starts t d o bad things to the car? Should I be running out there after along drive with a gallon of after and such?

And finally in general.....I live pretty much right by the beach, I've got a bay on one side and the atlantic ocean on the other, is there extra steps to kinda protect my car form the salty air and all that jazz. Lord knows it ate my old exhaust alive :wiggle:

Think thats about all :)

#2 ·
The most you can do in those kinds of situations is keep your car well protected with wax which will act as a sacrificial barrier between your paint and the elements. In the future, try to get at least two coats on before the temp drops too low. Keep a schedule and try to wax your car every two months. Its also a good idea to wax or polish your wheels (depending on the finish) prior to winter.

For the undercarriage, you may want to look into a rubberized undercoating if conditions are severe enough.

#3 ·
here is the low down on salt. salt is only corrosive when it's wet. So if you have salt spray on the side of your car and it's dry they it won't damage anything. However if it gets wet, it's best to stop at a car wash of some kind and get it cleaned off. Even the touchless systems are better than nothing although it usually takes your wax off as well.

basically durring the winter your not going to get away from the stuff unless you have a heated garage and can wash your car every night. Make sure you use some good quality wax before it gets to cold and if you have the opportunity to apply more durring the winter do it.

And you can blame me for all the salt on the roads. My company designs and markets the systems that spread it. :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.