New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
lol "sports" car... aw i wish. anyway, i live in michigan on a private dirt road and since ive owned it, i have never gotten stuck or anything. since its front wheel drive, its better to control when your trying to get going, but hard to turn if ur giving it gas haha, but thats common sense.

overall i think its good as long as its not lowered or anything

·
Registered
231 Posts
How is the cougar in winter driving??

Wondering if its ok to drive the Zn in winter... never had a sports car and all.
Hi Wond3r.:wave: In my experience, the Cougar handles winter driving/snow just fine. As long as the snow is not so deep that the low front sir dam becomes a snow plow, you will be just fine. I have a V-6.

Also, remember that how a car handles the snow is highly tire dependent. Older bald tires, High Performance summer tires, etc, etc, will not handle snow well.

I have the original equipment BF Goodrich Comp T/A's (well two original T/A's on the front, two replacement Traction T/A's on the rear, soon to be rotated)) on my car, with almost 27,000 miles, and have never had a problem.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hi Wond3r.:wave: In my experience, the Cougar handles winter driving/snow just fine. As long as the snow is not so deep that the low front sir dam becomes a snow plow, you will be just fine. I have a V-6.

Also, remember that how a car handles the snow is highly tire dependent. Older bald tires, High Performance summer tires, etc, etc, will not handle snow well.

I have the original equipment BF Goodrich Comp T/A's (well two original T/A's on the front, two replacement Traction T/A's on the rear, soon to be rotated)) on my car, with almost 27,000 miles, and have never had a problem.

Good luck!:thumbsup:
you only have 27,000 miles on your car? or do u mean tires?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I said sports car because I've only owned 4 door sedans... what wout the cougar be considered?

would it be better than a read wheel drive '94 sedan?
...probably if i make sure the tires are ok i guess, right

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
i'd call it a sports-compact ;)

"winter" really depends on where you are. winter for me is just wet roads with a few days of frost and rarely snow. I have low profile performance tires and they do as good in the winter as in the summer. The couple times I've driven on packed snow, they did as good (or better) as any other non-snow tire I've had (others on a rear-wheel drive v8).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I drive a cougar with a 2.5 inch drop and we can get a fare amount of show in st.louis Personally I think the car does very well in the snow. It is heavy enought that it stick to the ground when you need to stop or go.

one thing I would suggest is the first time you get snow go out to a parking lot close to home and slide around a little. Not by pulling the ebrake but like going stright and then slaming on the brakes. This way you know how the car will be in the snow. I have always driven a car with standard brakes (non antilock brakes) so it was a good experience to know how to stop the car. My did not come with anti lock brake althought it came with just about everything else.

·
Registered
231 Posts
you only have 27,000 miles on your car? or do u mean tires?
Hi JayZee.:wave: 27,000 miles on the car and on the two original Comp TA's which are currently on the front of the car. Coming up on tire rotation and oil change time soon.

I have had to replace two of the original Comp TA's with Traction TA's in the last two years on two separate occasions. Both times my wife had blowouts while driving the car. Both times the rear tires, first left then right. She hit road debris both times, not her fault or the tires fault. Just one of those things (or actually two of those things, huh?).

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
from my own experience driving a cougar in the snow is just awesome, as long as your not driving like an ass hat and tail gateing people. i would never drive a car in the snow that is lowered and has a body kit on it, but if you get yokohama iceguard tires, it will be like your driving on pavement instead of snow, a member on here had them on i just dont remember who it was, maybe he'll chime in

·
8,582 Posts
Idiocy aside, I've had very good results with my Cougar in the snow. Good tires, of course, are a must - summer high-traction tires that don't do well in the wet are really going to suck.

I actually prefer my Cougar in the snow to the other vehicles I've owned.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
I'll add to the idea that it's ALL ABOUT THE TIRES.

My car handled VERY BADLY with Kumho Ecsta 711's, but did fine with Toyo Proxes. I had to drive it all last winter, and it was a friggin' snow plow. Unstoppable.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
My car is lowered and I drive my Cougar in the winter every year. Never had a problem. Since i got after market rims I put snow tires on the stock rims and it's even better.

BTW: I live in Canada. ;)

·
is a pop sensation
13,672 Posts
Please keep this on topic, it is a valid question, not a debate about ABS (unless it is specifically related to winter driving) or if the Cougar is a sports car.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I'll add to the idea that it's ALL ABOUT THE TIRES.

My car handled VERY BADLY with Kumho Ecsta 711's, but did fine with Toyo Proxes. I had to drive it all last winter, and it was a friggin' snow plow. Unstoppable.
+1. Had the same tires on my summer rims. They were absolutely HORRIBLE! I got some cheap barely used goodyear snow tires from a friend and they were absolutely awesome. It's all about tires, and how you drive. FWD is an advantage, and it has a little more weight to it then some smaller cars. My old probe just wanted to slide all over the road, no weight at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.