New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm trying to replace the cabin air filter and the first step to doing so is removing the windhield wiper arms and so I figured it would be a matter of just removing the bolts on there so I did and still nothing it's like there glued onto the turning arms or something? how the hell do I remove them it's pissing me off!
-Cody W.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i havent done it on my coug yet but all my other cars the wiper arms where on a splined shaft with a screw through the end of it...so if you have undone the screw i would assume you just pull...it is probably corroded or salted on there pretty good..maybe try some WD on it..

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I tried WD-40 and it didn't work! but I found a how-to for different cars somewhere and I found out that the air filter was on the panel that doesn't have the windshield wiper arms so I just took that 1 off and replaced it so I'm happy now and I'm sure my lungs will be too because it was dirty as [censored]!
-thanks Cody W.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nope...

You simply can't remove them! I don't remember that you said what year, but on my '99, I just worked around it. It looked so straight forward, but I could NOT get my arm off. I removed the blade, and everything that I could, and was still able to get to the Cabin Filter without taking off the wipper arm. It did take a lot of curse words, but it worked!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha thats exactely what I did except I stopped my wiper blades in the up most position to get them out of the way and then just worked on taking the 1 side off! worked good when I figured it out!
-Cody W.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
its alot easier than it looks..........directly from the ford cd manual...if you dont have one you should definetly get one its well worth the $7.00
you just pry up the ends......un-do the nuts and lift off

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha well I'm not a complete moron haha! I did that and nothing, it wou;dn't budge! I tried prying them off afterwards too and still nothing!
-cheers Cody W.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
yea there's more to it than that picture implies, I have tried it as well to no avail.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
you arent supposed to remove the arms completely to get at the cabin air filter, just turn them on and stop them before they start to go back down like you said

-justin

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is an oldish thread, so I probably shouldn't revive it, but...

On my Cougar, I think the nuts on that drawing are just a practical joke. I removed them and the arms would still not come off. I, too, tried prying, but gave up. I do have a shop manual (it's a CD version), and the first step listed is "Remove the whipper Arm...". I'm pretty sure I turned mine on, then turned off the key when the whippers were at their top of stroke.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
if prying the wipers doesnt loosen them grab some pliers and pull them straight up......they are just pushed on a pin but its a tight fit. they do pop off. me and Plague just had both of mine off again on saturday to adjust my carbon fiber hood. you have to remove those plastic panels to get to two of the hood bracket bolts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes i recently replaced my cabin filter on my 00 cougar
and you must remove the wiper arms or it will be a royal pain in the ass.
take off the bolt and pry and pull at those suckers till they come off, but they do come off.
also i reccomend marking where they sat on the windshield, so that when you put them back on they dont sit to high or to low and go off the side of the windshield when u turn them on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.