New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I turn the wipers on I can't get them to stop. To park them I have to time the key off till they drop into position. Washer works (and works and works and works) but intermittents don't.
I have seen many thoughts here on how to solve this issue - relay, switch, ground, motor - but not many folks report back to say if their theoretical "fix" worked.
If anyone really knows, tell me!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
The relay failed on my SVT Focus, and the wipers would just stop as soon as you let go of the stalk - in the middle of the windshield; they wouldn't park themselves. I had to hold the stalk down until they were at the bottom of the stroke and then let go. So I can tell you that it's most likely NOT your relay.

The motor sounds like it's fine, since it's, well... working.

I think you can narrow it down to either the switch or the ground.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. On mine, when the switch is in the OFF position (but wipers still wiping) if you press down just a little on the stalk they will quit but resume again when you release it. It does seem like the motor is okay because I have two speeds but I read its the motor that controls parking the wipers, which they won't do (well, maybe that's because they won't quit wiping).

·
5,237 Posts
No intermittent wipe at all? Do you know if your rear defroster works, or the 12sec delay on the overhead light? Might be a timer control module in that case, the timer module controls the intermittent, as well as the rear defroster delay off.

Or the wiper stalk, since you can get it to stop if you press down.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Our 2001 started this after a radio install but I jarred the dash pretty hard removing some oem bracket rivets.

Never found the loose connection just unplugged the motor. The car and I are always on different schedules.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the harness from the radio you installed?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New used switch from eBay came. It works exactly like my old one. Wipers won't stop till you turn off the motor. Thoughts for what to do next?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I pulled the under-dash wiper relay and replaced it with the one for the RW defroster (same size). No change in performance. And alas, previously, when I had pulled the battery on another issue, I cleaned the grounds under there, which I heard can cause the problem (not in this case). So I guess the only thing it could be is the wiper motor?
Thoughts on: should I take the time to pull it first and maybe there is something like a loose wire that I could spot, or just get on ebay and bid on a motor and make it a one-day job.
puttster

on edit. It was the motor. What a challenge though replacing it if you've never done it before. I will describe my experience in a new post... "How NOT to change your windshield wiper motor," just as soon as I can calm down.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I don't know if Puttster's still aroud, but thanks, you just saved me some diagnosis time.

Situation : have to hold down the stalk on the 'one wipe' setting to get it to cycle fully. intermittents don't work. continuous does, ...sometimes, as does high-speed. if you need to use the window wash, you've got non-stop wipers as companions until you turn the car off. changed switch, no difference. changed relay, no difference. have not checked grounds, will pull motor and inspect it first. hopefully just some corrosion or dead solder joint, or something. will report back to confirm if this was my ssue.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I think I still have a spare motor/linkage assembly in my basement if it comes to needing one and you don't have any local.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Thanks MMC757, I appreciate the offer, but I got lucky - they haven't crushed the local junkyard car yet. I grabbed the OEM motor off that (the car has about 50k on it..what a waste) and it works good as new, now. in and out in about an hour once I got home. since there was only a 5$ core charge, I kept the old motor. I'll happily tear it open and take a look at the failure mode soon. I'm betting it's just corrosion on some terminal somewhere. if that's the case, the forum needs to know, especially as these cars get older and these issues start to crop up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts