New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my right power window. It will work when it wants to.

First I changed the switches, no good. Then I switched out the relay, even though my driver side window worked fine, still works when it wants. So I'm narrowing it down to the regulator in the passenger door. My question...Is the regulator in the Contour the same as the one in the Cougar? The reason I ask is because I can't find any wrecked Cougars for parts in salvage yards but the Contour seems to be a little easier to come by.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Seriously though, its probaly not the regulator. Its the motor. And dont buy CRAP out of the junkyard. Get a new regulator and motor or just the motor. Most times you will pay about $80-90 for one out of the junkyard. Last time I priced a brand new regulator with motor it was about $130, and that part will come with a 12/12,000 warranty from the dealer, or you could always call your local parts store and see if they are cheaper.

IMHO junkyards are there to make a quick buck off of junk, they really dont care what quality of a product they are giving you. 9/10 people that come into the shop where I work with junkyard parts end up coming back a few weeks later to have the same problem fixed with new parts.

Save your self money in the long run and go with new parts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks. I'll start looking around for a motor. When I pick one up and get it installed I'll post my results.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on my passenger window saga. I haven't done much with the cougar except for aquire parts here and there to start working on it again this Spring.

I did buy a motor and some switches for the windows. This weekend I pulled out the old motor and put in the one I got from a member here. I also changed the switches as well. Put the key in the acc. position and...........NOTHING :banghead:

I tried my old switches, nothing. I checked the wiring and all seemed to be fine. So....can I now narrow down my problem to absolutely being the regulator? If so, where is the dang thing? I felt around in the door and didn't feel anything but the window motor. I'm bit lost on this and with nice weather I'd like to be able to roll with both window operable.

BTW, I can at times get it roll down with no problem at all, but up is a whole different story.

any and all help greatly appreciated.

·
8,582 Posts
First, ACC key position won't work - it has to be in the RUN position.

I'm still thinking you have an electrical problem. I would go to the How-To I wrote for the "one touch down" passenger side window (in the How Tos forum) and look at the wiring diagrams I posted there... and start checking the wires in the passenger door. I think you have a switch that's making intermittent contact somewhere - possibly the one in the driver's door - causing this. I would think if it were the regulator you'd hear the motor trying to run or it'd burn out the fuse.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mistake on the key position, it's in the run position....sorry about that. I'll check out the wiring when it quits raining here. Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.