New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dampening wind noise, reconditioning rubber seals?

I know that Cougars aren't exactly the quietest cars on the road as far as wind noise goes; they're obviously meant to be more aggressive than cushiony and geriatrically luxurious. :biggrin:

However, in the couple of weeks I've owned my '99 Cougar V6, I've noticed my typical highway (60+ MPH) wind noise is also accompanied by a somewhat dull whistle that, as far as I can tell, is coming from the passenger side door, and gets moderately more pronounced as speed is increased beyond 75. It isn't coming from the sunroof, as the whistle is there whether it is open or closed, and the whistle doesn't change pitch or go away by raising/lowering the passenger side window, either. I'm guessing that the whistle is coming from a small gap in the passenger side door seals.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms with their Cougar? What'd you do about it, or what would you suggest I do? Would "reconditioning" the seals with an aftermarket household rubber restoration product do any harm (or any good)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've also noticed the same thing, exactly how you've described it. I just got my cougar on friday though so I haven't exactly had time to do anything about it, lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i owned my cougar i found it nothing but quiet in regards to road noise. i notice ALOT more noise in my explorer. maybe see if you need new seals....or if there is some problem with the fit of the door/window?
hope you get this resolved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the same problem too...sound like its coming from towards the front of the door, near the side view mirror? thats where it sounds like its coming from for me :confused:

·
Administrator
11,716 Posts
Check the weatherstripping around the outside of the car around the windows. When your doors are shut the stripping should be flush with the rear rear 1/4 window & not tucked inside.

Check all around to make sure the stripping isn't pinched or stuck in a weird position. This would cause a whistling noise at high speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by: wheelz25
i have the same problem too...sound like its coming from towards the front of the door, near the side view mirror? thats where it sounds like its coming from for me :confused:
That's actually where it sounds like my whistling's coming from, too ... well, glad it's not just me ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah - mine (99) just started a couple K miles ago. Sounds like the window is cracked just a bit. I've been trying to raise it like fifty times. The weather stripping doesn't look like it is coming away a lot, but then it doesn't have too. It does look a little old... but it is hard to track down. Why must everything grow old and die! WHY!!

:cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.