New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I keep getting a CEL for one of my opper O2's...

So I know it's going out. It has 60K+ miles on it, so it's fine that i'll replace it, but just before my CEL popped on, I started noticing a few things...some of which I know bad O2's will typically cause...but I'm just checking...

So here's the list of probs...

-Car acceleration sucks...not like it usually is
-Bucks sometimes now after shifts (not the fuel pump)
-Rough idle...it will drop sometimes, car shakes, and idle comes back to normal. It'll do it a few times

I really hate the fact my idle is all of a sudden ****ty, and the car accelerates ****ty, and is not smooth.

I have new plugs with about 2000miles on them, and the wires are maybe a year old. The Lower is only like 2-3 months old, so it's not dirty, and the upper was cleaned at the same time.

So is it all my O2???

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Sounds like it could be from what I know about O2 sensors...though that is very little. Does it matter if the car is warmed up or cold??

I kept getting a CEL for catalyst inneficiency or something (forget the code); anyway, the dealer replaced the exhaust manifold on bank 1 just before my 80K emission warranty expired (I had like 78K :) ) If it ends up being the catalyst then it should still be covered. Check into it and let me know if you get a CEL and what the code is.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: pgtatx
Well, I keep getting a CEL for one of my opper O2's...

So I know it's going out. It has 60K+ miles on it, so it's fine that i'll replace it, but just before my CEL popped on, I started noticing a few things...some of which I know bad O2's will typically cause...but I'm just checking...

So here's the list of probs...

-Car acceleration sucks...not like it usually is
-Bucks sometimes now after shifts (not the fuel pump)
-Rough idle...it will drop sometimes, car shakes, and idle comes back to normal. It'll do it a few times

I really hate the fact my idle is all of a sudden ****ty, and the car accelerates ****ty, and is not smooth.

I have new plugs with about 2000miles on them, and the wires are maybe a year old. The Lower is only like 2-3 months old, so it's not dirty, and the upper was cleaned at the same time.

So is it all my O2???
Yes.
Do you have an OBD-2 scan tool?
Compare the LTFT and STFT of bank 1 and bank 2, I bet they are very different. Also look at how the o2 cycles (think sine wave).
My guess is your o2 is working, but is cycling very slow. I have similar issues right now, I need to get some fresh o2's so I can get my beast
tuned perfectly.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have 2 scanners...A portable Hellion scan tool from Diablo, and the OBD-2.com software...

And you are right CougarGT, it is running slow, it's the front bank O2 sensor number 1...

I'll swap both the upper O2 sensors out, gut my pre cats, which is something I've been too lazy to do, and then use MIL eliminators on the lower O2's...

My CEL actually popped off today, and that is often indicativae of a faling sensor, ie in this case the O2's...

BTW...my Hellion Rocks...it is the best thing I have bought so far...Portable, back lit, and freeze frames when the CEL was triggered...Grrrrreat...Oh, and it works on all OBD2 equipped cars.

I'm probably gonna be running crazy rich after I get the O2's swapped... I've been over compensating for the O2 going bad, and running a tad richer each time I got a lean CEL...

Oh well...when I install my new tranny in a few weeks, I'll do all the exhaust manifold gutting and O2 sensor swap...

Thanks again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts