New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need this answered real bad. My Alt took a crap today, and i have to get it replaced. I want to get the duralast but they dont show they have one for thew 2001 Cougar even though they have one for the 99 Cougar. I havent actually taken mine out yet, but i am going to tomarrow. I know i can just take it down there and have them check, but i figured someone here would know.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the 99 bracket fit the 2001? Is that all i would need to make the 99 alt fit a 2001?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I mean, the mounting case of a 99 alt will not mount on a 01 Cougar.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats the difference? This will also be a Duralast alt. so i dont know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
When looking at the two alts, side by side, the mounting holes are completly different. Any alt that will fit one application needs to use the same case. Using that logic, if built properly, no alt that will fit a 99 Cougar, will fit a 01 Cougar.

Also, from my experience, aftermarket alts are complete ****. I replaced my original alt with a MC alt, and have had no problems. MC recently changed vendors, and thus far we have had very good results with the new ones. If mine were to ever fail again, I personally would never go for an aftermarket alt....even thought my cost difference is roughly $150.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, do you know of any replacements that will fit a 2001. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg here.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
No, not off hand. I know that Pep Boys and Bumper to Bumper both had listings the last time I checked. Good price, good warranty...but lousy life.

Check around, but be sure to get one with a good warranty....and ask if they warranty labor as well. Also, if any of them list it as a 98-02 Cougar alt...stay away. I have seen that more than a few times, where outside companies list many non-compatible parts as 98-02 Cougars. Only to find out it's replacement for the 99-00 only.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx fett. I might be having to get it rebuilt if nothing else comes along. I will check PepBoys tomarrow. Any other info you have offhand?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts