New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I just installed a wideband O2, wired it to an A/F gauge, and connected it to an Xcal, I thought I would share the instructions I found helpful. I will organize this and say a few more words when I can find the time.

How to Install the Wideband
PLX Sensor Install Guide
Innovate LC-1 Quick Start Guide Note: I actually found the LC-1 manual below to be more useful.

How to Connect the Wideband to an Air/Fuel Gauge
AutoMeter A/F Gauge Install Guide
PLX A/F Gauge Install Guide
Innovate LC-1 Gauge Kit Quick Start Guide

How to Connect the Wideband to the XCal
Logging Wideband Data with the SCT XCal 2

Technical Specs
PLX Wideband Oxygen Sensor Technical Data
Innovate LC-1 Manual

Sources of Replacement Wideband Sensors
Ballenger Motorsports

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
what kit did u all get and also what gauge are you using

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most people get the Innovative LC1, which was recently featured in a Group Buy. I got the PLX M300 and wired it to an AutoMeter A/F gauge.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
justa2pt5L said:
I have a question for you. If both the analog wires go to the Xcal then how did you wire up the gauge? Splice into one of the analog connections? I have the LC-1...
Before answering this question, let's get our bearings:

Standalone Gauge Kit Quick Start Guide said:
The LC-1 has 6 stripped wires. The RED wire should be connected to a switched 12V power source, make sure the connection is fused with a minimum fuse size of 5A. The BLUE and WHITE wires should all be grounded to the same ground source. Optionally, the YELLOW (Analog out 1) and/or BROWN (Analog out 2) can be connected to the analog inputs of other devices such as data loggers, gauges, etc. The BLACK wire, calibration wire, will not be used in conjunction with the XD-16 in this application and should be taped off and tucked away.
So we have two analog outputs, just as Justin mentioned. The instructions for datalogging with an XCal state that both analog outputs are to be wired to the XCal. So if one of these must be connected to the PURPLE signal wire for your A/F gauge, the question becomes which one? Let's lookup the difference between Output 1 (YELLOW) and Output 2 (BROWN):

LC-1 Integration with XCal said:
By default, Analog Out 1 is set up to simulate a narrowband oxygen sensor. Analog Out 2 is set up for 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR.
According to the above spec, the YELLOW wire is the narrowband signal and the BROWN wire is the wideband signal. You'll want to wire the narrowband signal to the A/F gauge. Initially, the wideband signal will be used for datalogging. Later, the narrowband could be used instead for fine tuning. See the following illustration:

Innovate LC-1 Manual said:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There seems to be a discrepancy over what pins the XCal actually uses for logging analog data from an external sensor, such as a wideband. The documentation is clear enough:

Now for the image on the left to match up with the table on the right, the following diagram must correctly illustrate the pin numbering for the cable.

However, experience suggests otherwise! After confirming that I was getting 2.2V on the signal wire from my wideband, I plugged the cable into my XCal and watched in horror as brown smoke wafted out of every hole and crevice! :eek: It's time to take matters into our own hands!

With trusty multi-meter in hand, and using the mini-DIN cable as a break out for the XCal comm port, I obtained continuity, or a low-resistance connection, on each of the following pins: 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9.

That proves that pins 3, 4, and 6 are either open circuit (i.e. not connected to anything) or are connected to components with a resistance greater than 30 ohms. The resistance and voltage measured for each of these pins is as follows:

3 = 89k 2.5V
4 = 89k 2.5V
6 = 53k 0V

Yikes! We have live wires! I was told by SCT support that no pins other than the analog inputs were functional or even connected. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The next logical step was to again try to capture data on the analog inputs of the Xcal. Analog Input #2 still failed to register the full voltage applied to it; however Analog Input #1 registered the full voltage. See the screen capture below:

The voltage of both a household battery and the wideband were read on the expected pin for Analog Input #1, confirming that the above diagrams are indeed correct, and leaving me without an explanation for the malfunction of Analog Input #2. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on what you said, it sounds to me like you just need a new stock O2 sensor, not a wideband O2 sensor. Any parts store can look that up for you.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey Gaz, i see the xcal2 cable pin outs for the data cable you've got there.

Do you have the cable connections for the main cable please ? I'm specifically looking for the cable connection inside the xcal2 where the main lead joins the pcb... had a mishap and need this badly..... thanks ..G.

p.s. inbox overflowing ... needs flushing lol

·
Registered
933 Posts
SCT said info not available (surprise surprise NOT). Anyone help me please...G.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Gorman, sorry for the late response. I never got your message! I just happened to login since I'm at home with a cold today. :\

Sounds like you want the pin-out for the XCal2 OBD2 cable at the end that connects to the XCal? If so, wire colors from left to right in the pic below:

1. gray/black
  2. orange/black
  3. orange
  4. green/black
  5. brown
  6. brown/black
  7. green

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Do you know if its good connect the analog output of the LC-1 to the analog imput 2 of the XCal2 and the gauge at the same time? becouse in the manual sais that you would conect both analog outputs to the both analog inputs, but then I cant conect the gauge becouse there are no free analog out. Do you know what I mean?
This diagram will explain my question

Its correct? or its better use one analog output for the gauge and other one for the XCal2?

Thanks

And other question, in the instructions they said that you can use othe led with voltage between 1,2 and 2,2 for use it with the switch for calibration of the LC-1. But I want to use this switch that have leds inside, but the leds works at 3,4v that can cause any problem in the calibration or only that it will glow less?

·
Registered
933 Posts
  1. gray/black ......... ground
  2. orange/black ..... can -
  3. orange .............. can+
  4. green/black ....... Batt +
  5. brown ............... SCP +
  6. brown/black ....... SCP -
  7. green ................ not connected.. only connection left is marked FEPS anyone ?
  8. Bare ...................ground ...(listed on internet as chassis ground so connected to ground terminal with gray/black).
Thank you Gary; with your input my Xcal now works again.

It switches on and reads codes. Wondering if the green wire (pin 12 OBD plug) i haven't connected, is for flashing maps. Would be happier if I knew what FEPS (on xcal pcb) stands for. Also pin 12 in the OBD port (car), doesn't have a designation in the internet diagram i found.

I couldn't have done it without your help. Really appreciate you posting that picture. I owe you one. Hope this helps someone ....G.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Does anyone know what the RPM signal consists of coming out/going in to the ECU? Is there a 0-5V signal that represents RPM or is it only the PWM or AC signal coming from the crank sensor?

Edit: I read up on the sensor output and it looks like it is a small AC signal that needs to be digitized and interpreted into a RPM value. Weather this interpreted value is output to the cluster I'm not sure.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I tapped the rpm signal for my window switch from the tach and it works fine. I tried tapping the same line for my Zeitronix wideband tuning software and it pulls up garbage. I'm assuming it's something in my software, but who knows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts