New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is Heather, I'm just over at Mike's house.

I took the coug in for service today, to get the recall fixed and to get my wacky electrical system looked at. Here's the preview of problems.

Monday--cruising at 70 mph when all of a sudden all of my indicator lights go wacky. I turn off the car and then back on, the same thing happens not 2 minutes later. This happens a total of 4 times. I get back to work, and check the diagnostic code.....9318 is flashing. I think ok I had low voltage several times.
So I be a good customer and call my dealership, make an appt. for Thursday....

Thursday--drop the car off at 8:30 and repeat what I said on the phone on Monday, but also include that I have not been able to duplicate the problem since Monday, I then go about my business......I call at 2:30 car is in the shop and they have no news, I'm like, ok, just give me a call. Well 4:30 rolls around and I get a call. They said that they were unable to perform the recall because of modification to my battery terminals for my stereo. I'm like ummm ok, does this mean my car is still safe to drive?? They answer yes, the defective parts had already been replaced to accomadate the stereo wires. I'm like cool (don't worry my brain kicks in later)....They then said that they could not replicate my electrical problem so they couldn't fix it, although they did pull the same code I did, they couldn't do anything about it. I ask why?? They said that they didn't know what caused it. Grrr

Ok, I thought for the battery recall the problem was at the alternator not the terminal, someone correct me if I'm wrong....

If they pull the same problem code, why wouldn't they fix it?

Any help is appreciated in this situation.

Ok, I'm done ranting.

·
Administrator
11,704 Posts
A recall can't be voided by a mod unless that specific part was changed for the newer mod. In this case, I believe the recall on the batterys is that the ground cable is touching another wire or something like that. This causes it to get hot and start fires. If they did anything to your battery when installing the new stereo they might have tied off wires or whatnot leaving the ground wire fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
JScullin is right

My dealer told me they weren't gonna fix the brake recall we had cause my car was modded. He said mods void all warranties... I said your wrong but even if you were right, a mod doesn't void a recall... FIX IT... He fixed it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first thing, the recall is a battery cable comming off of the alternator, this cable apparently on some cougars was too close to a AC line and over time, the climate can cause the cable to become frayed, if it is too close, all the do is put in a retention clip and move it away from the AC line, no disconnection is even needed. second thing, it sounds like a cope out by your dealership, and technically they can void for a warranty for putting a shift knob on if they want to, but for customer satisfaction (oxymoron in FORD i know) they usually wont. Thirdly YOU NEED A NEW DEALERSHIP!! mine is like Rockford, he loves when i modify my car and has not even challenged me on anything i have done for any warranty work, and i get complimented by all the service people. all the SM says is that i make too much money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, that's what I thought about the recall, and this dealership had been good, well the first visit was good, and they love playing with my stereo, I picked up the car at 7:30 this morning and just about went deaf, they had it turned up so loud. sheesh. I don't know where else to go, because all of the ford dealerships in Norhtern VA seem to suck. Any one know of a good one?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
http://www.sema.org/warranty/

tells you all about how a mod can not void a warranty if it had nothing to do with it.... even if you turboed, replaced the entire driveline new rims, lowered the cougar new stereo and the passenger window dosen't work... they must fix it under warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is an excerpt from the warranty page of FORD.COM

*Your new car bumper to bumper warranty will be voided upon inspection and notification by dealer that a modification or alteration of any sort is performed on vehicle.
² accidents, collision or objects striking the vehicle
² theft, vandalism, or riot
² fire or explosion
² freezing
² misusing the vehicle, such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing,
or using the vehicle as a stationary power source
² altering or modifying the vehicle - including the body, chassis, or
components - after the vehicle leaves Ford’s control
² non-Ford parts installed after the vehicle leaves Ford’s control. For
example, but not limited to, cellular phones, alarm systems, and
automatic starting systems
² tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems, or
with other parts that affect these systems
² disconnecting or altering the odometer or allowing the odometer to be
inoperative for an extended period of time with the result that the
actual mileage cannot be determined
² using contaminated or improper fuel/fluids
² customer-applied chemicals or accidental spills
² driving through water deep enough to cause water to be ingested into
the engine
Maintenance/Wear
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover: (1) parts and labor
needed to maintain the vehicle; and (2) the replacement of parts due to
normal wear and tear. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items.
Examples from the Scheduled Maintenance Guide are:
² oil changes ² cleaning/polishing
² oils, lubricants, other fluids ² wiper blades
² oil/air filters ² clutch linings
² brake linings/pads ² engine tune-up
² tire rotation

its a touchy thing with warranties, if a dealership wanted to be a stickler, he could void it for anything, i know becasue my last car, the pontiac dealer was a jerk and wouldnt do anything, and even after speaking to a lemon-law attorney he said that they can void it for anything. thats from an attorney.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that portion of the Ford warranty violates Federal Law...the Magnuson-Moss Act, which pierre posted, says the warranty must be upheld, until that aftermarket part is proven to have caused the problem.

I actually had to bring a copy of that act when Brown's in Fairfax was going to charge me $75 for LOOKING at my car. I won that little battle, cause I had my ducks in a row ahead of time, but its amazing what service depts, will do to get out of helping a customer.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
yah... what heather said.... the actually warranty text violates law and many (if not all) auto makers will say this but they still must obide by the federal law

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.