New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1999 V6 Mercury Cougar (automatic), there are no upgrades or anything done to my car, I would like to do so but it seems that this damn thing has a mind of its own and I'm paranoid it may just kill me.

I've had the car for 3yrs now and the same problems persist...not starting(making no effort to what so ever), check engine light is constantly on. I had the battery terminals replaced but that didn't fix the problem. And sometimes when my car does decide to start I hear a horrible grinding of metal sound. Other times WHILE im driving when accelerating the cougar really...kicks I guess you would say, it's not smooth at all...it will be smooth and the you just feel a jolt, like you would when a manual stulls out on you. No matter how you accelerate.

And anytime my car makes it to the mechanic NOTHING is wrong, but only when a mechanic is around. They've hooked up scanners & nothing. Personally I think she needs some sort of disecting to solve whatever the problem.
I've attempted to look into buying a new car but anytime i decide to head to a dealership...she seems to not start, possessed maybe?

Has anyone else had these sorts of issues and have found a solution? =[ help...

·
Administrator
15,456 Posts
Just a question, but it is the check engine light in the dash, and not the wrench light on the overhead console that is staying on, right?

If it is the check engine light in the dash, you need to have the code pulled from the car's computer. Any place like Autozone or Advanced Auto parts can do that. Not sure why your mechanic couldn't...or why someone told you to change the battery terminals :confused:

As for the jolt, is it only between shifting from first to second gear?

The grinding is either a worn out starter (somewhat cheap/easy) or flexplate with broken teeth (expensive and labor-intensive).

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the check engine light in the dash for about 3mos. took it in and it was nothing, a couple weeks later came back on.

And I know the wrench light is the one that goes off when you should take it in for scheduled matinence. But I've just given up on taking it in because everywhere I go they say nothing is wrong, but there aren't really many people in my area with mercury/lincoln/ford, let alone cougars so ive come to the conclusion I have morons looking at my car.

And the jolt just happens...randomly. =[

·
Administrator
15,456 Posts
Actually, the wrench light can be turned off by holding down two of the button on the trip computer controls for about 6 seconds...select and units, maybe?

If the CEL is on, there should be a code stored. I'd take it somewhere else. Most autoparts stores will scan them for free.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It was the check engine light in the dash for about 3mos. took it in and it was nothing, a couple weeks later came back on.

And I know the wrench light is the one that goes off when you should take it in for scheduled matinence. But I've just given up on taking it in because everywhere I go they say nothing is wrong, but there aren't really many people in my area with mercury/lincoln/ford, let alone cougars so ive come to the conclusion I have morons looking at my car.

And the jolt just happens...randomly. =[
So you dont take it in for scheduled maintenance when the wrench light comes on and now the car isn't running right? That Wrench is a great reminder for oil changes(nothing would be wrong with the car) Getting fluid levels checked, all sorts of minor things that need done when there is nothing wrong with the car but left unattended will cause problems with the car.

Take it to autozone or Advance auto and ask them if they will help you get the codes, once you have the codes you can post them here and there are alot of guys on here that can tell you what code means what.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've taken it to a handful of places and they've used a scanner but found nothing. Not only that but even though my car has power locks & such they were unable to get a remote to work with my car, if that makes sense? Sorry im pretty car illeterate myself.

*shrugs* thanks for the advice though, i shall continue to look for car shops that literate people work at, lol.

·
8,512 Posts
I've taken it to a handful of places and they've used a scanner but found nothing. Not only that but even though my car has power locks & such they were unable to get a remote to work with my car, if that makes sense? Sorry im pretty car illeterate myself.
All of our Cougars had power locks. They didn't all have keyless entry. :)

That's strange that they can't get the code read. I'd wonder if there's something wrong with the OBD-II port.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts