New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know why can't I put a turbo in my ATX. I mean other than it won't fit.

N

·
0 Posts
You can.....just would be a lot of *new* design work for the FMIC piping. Also it would be a smaller turbo so that you dont blow your tranny. For a upgrade of 40-50HP gain.... would you pay near $4,000.00?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well blowin up the tranny doesn't sound like what I would want
:thumbsdn:but I would like here more bout a 40hp gain.Help an ignorant guy out

What is this Level 10 you speak of...man or company:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Funny how Kenny Bell managed to supercharge a 3.0L Escape with guess what ... a stock CD4E and the car was putting out close to 270HP to the ground! All you need on the CD4E is an auxiliary cooler ... everything else is just icing on cake.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna go with that not being at advance autoparts. What is the sticker price for such. Also where would I start to look. Ford?

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: Macattack
Well blowin up the tranny doesn't sound like what I would want
:thumbsdn:but I would like here more bout a 40hp gain.Help an ignorant guy out

What is this Level 10 you speak of...man or company:confused:

Im speaking of instead of using a T3/T4E54, stageII, .63 you would need a T25 Turbo or even a Super60. Also your wastegate would open at 4psi instead of 8psi...that would hold down the HP's. Really.... in a perfect world this Turbo setup should be cheaper.....but you have to realize the re-design and R&D that would have to go into the auto Turbo kit. Besides, i really dont think there is much of a market out there for one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe someone successfully installed a supercharger on an atx. Or am I wrong? I believe it's been done though.

I think it would be the same problem though. Need to keep the tranny cool.

I'd love to get a supercharger in the coog!

Also aren't they discontinuing the supercharger for the coogah?

D

·
0 Posts
I was told by a friend at work the other day that there is a guy here with a turbo and nos on an atx cougar. Of course he has everything done right with the engine and tranny. 13 grand worth of mods!!!!

Must be nice :(

O

·
0 Posts
the only reason a turbo kit "wouldnt fit" is because of piping issues. cannot be that hard to resolve or that expensive, keith from streetflight said he would do it. thats ignoring the whole fmic concept of naynays which boggles my mind with all the piping. a supercharger "Wont fit" because vortech made it where it would rub against an atx and there is a mounting bracket that mounts to the mtx. you would have to move the actual sc unit up a bit and i think shorten the piping to make it fit, plus a custom mounting bracket to the atx, but ive never really thought the vortech unit had a good bang to buck ratio. the kenne bell unit would have fitment issues because the excape timing cover sticks out farther so you would have to modify the engine bay to make it fit and probably hood clearance issues. and 270 to the ground? thats on a 3l too...kingers vortech 3l made about that much with extensive head work and svt cams(right?). not terribly worth it. if you have the money, drive out to az and have streetflight make you a kit, i cant imagine it being that more expensive than the original kit. oh and just do a search on transmission cooler and cd4e on anysearch engine, you should find one that will work.

hope i helped

·
8,550 Posts
Originally posted by: FastCougar
Funny how Kenny Bell managed to supercharge a 3.0L Escape with guess what ... a stock CD4E and the car was putting out close to 270HP to the ground! All you need on the CD4E is an auxiliary cooler ... everything else is just icing on cake.
Now I know why you have that transmission cooler for your Contour! You're going to supercharge it! ;)

--RJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts