New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this [censored]y friend who thinks his ride is the [censored]. I'm going to prove him wrong once I get my cougar... well he's got the base I4 2001 Sunfire GT, AFAIK. I'm going for the 2.5L V6 cougar, we're both auto. Is it hard to race with automatic? What are some tips you could give to an amateur.

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
Is it hard to race with an automatic? Sure. If someone were to break both your legs I could see some difficulty in mashing the pedal to the floor.

Specs say that model puts out 150hp @ the crank, which is just over what the ATX puts down at the wheels (130-140hp). I dunno what their #'s are for that area. Them being a lighter car and both being autos you should win I would think barely. If he has a sportier tranny it's a "drivers" race.

If your already set on the ATX I'll give you a tip. Don't floor it off the line or she'll bog due to the economic slushbox compensating. Push it about 1/4 of the way down until it hits 2k RPM's, let off it real quick and instantly floor it. That should keep the powerband up there by forcing it to shift. It works for me, you may want to practice.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
pretty tough. The cavalier is similar to the Sunfire, and my mom's stock cavy is about as fast as my cougar (both ATX), even with all my mods in my sig :( (I know because I've tested both on this small stretch of street by my house, I hit the same mph in both cars from point a to point b) tis' sad.

Mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 1996 Sunfire SE MTX base model, and it has the 2.2 liter engine making a whopping 120 hp. The GT has the 150 hp engine. It would be a close match Sunfire MTX vs. Cougar ATX, but ATX vs. ATX I'd give the win to the Cougar.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm for sure going to practice. He's an even bigger driving n00b, so I'm 90% sure he'll floor it right off the line. And thanks JScullin, I'll try that 2k RPM thing.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Originally posted by: PGCougar
IMO, the Sunfire will win.
Not from a rolling start. Raced my friends 98 sunfire gt (which are all atx that i know of) from a rolling 60 and blew it away. Dont' know about off the line. He seems to be quicker off the line, but now with my exhaust and intake it seems about the same. I was behind him and we both floored it and i was pulling on his bumper till we shut it down at about 60. He lives just right down the road. I'm saying the coug!

By blew it away, i mean by car lengths. Shut it down at 110.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by: Gooch
Yeah I'm for sure going to practice. He's an even bigger driving n00b, so I'm 90% sure he'll floor it right off the line. And thanks JScullin, I'll try that 2k RPM thing.
bet em a tank of gas

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess until I add performance parts to it, it would be a fairly tight race. Especially since we're both new.

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
Well, don't push it to far then just over a matter of pride. Since your both new it means you'll probably try something stupid like taking it past 80mph. If you're still neck & neck by then shut down since it's obviously a tie. If your obviously winning throw your hazards & end it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd say if you haven't bought the car yet get an MTX. That way you'll definately win. It's the best performance mod you can get aside from a turbo or nitrous. :thumbsup:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a practice car to learn on... my dad has an old standard truck, but it's a piece of [censored] wire clutch. Are there Drivers Ed type things that teach standard?

and anyway, there aren't many cougars in my area and the ones in my price range are all automatic. No way am I paying $15k just cause I want lower mileage and standard. :flushed:

But my next car will be.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I don't know. I would think the Sunfire GT would beat an ATX cougar. With decent driver **whatever that means for an automatic hehe** they run mid 15s in the 1/4 according to car-stats.com and if I recall our cougars run high 16s to low 17s or at least mine did and that was with the air/exhaust mods in place lol.

Good luck since it's a friendly run. Sunfires are trash though, I really dislike them and are a PITA to work on hehe. Almost as bad as a f-body.

Oh speaking of which :evil: since you are in the market to buy a car, instead of getting a cougar, get yourself a F-body :evil:

yea yea I know I live and breath F-bodies but for the most bang for the buck it's been the best car I've owned thus far. Second would be a 99+ Mustang GT, they are pretty nice too and take to mods quite well.

You can find 98+ LS1 F-bodies for under 15 grand these days, even as a automatic. And btw even the Autos hold basically same wheel power as the sticks. Friend of mine hit 322 bone stock with a stick and I hit 316 bone stock with my auto.

Mid to low 13s bone stock, depending on how you drive :)

But ok, sales pitch is now over hehehe, back to your regular topic :biggrin:

Good luck in your race and if you are really a newb and a kid to boot (16 - 19yrs no offense btw) take it to a drag strip to be safe.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I'll have to get my friend to line up against me and we'll see. I always was wondering, but the only time we raced is that once.

The autos do hold their power well, must have a nice tranny. They do have the third gear though, so as the 1-2-3-D shifting. I believe the sunfires are supposed to run a 16, while the mtx only run like a 15.5 or something crazy like that. It's not as much of a diff as in our cougs. Anyway, i still put confidence in the coug.

Gooch, just get yourself a mtx. The only reason i crapped out on a atx was i figured i wouldn't be able to find another 35th, so i got a plain 35th. NO leather, NO sunroof, and a atx. So just be patient and look around. You'll learn quick. First time i even attempted driving a stick and did fine, only stalled it when i forgot to put it in neutral after i parked. You learn quick.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gahh, but I really want a cougar. There's a decent standard that's nice... Acura Integra LS 1995. Doesn't show the mileage though, scary thought. $7999 woo woo.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gahh, but I really want a cougar.
Get whatever you want man, dont let someone tell you otherwise. Its your decision and no one elses.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
Gahh, but I really want a cougar.
Get whatever you want man, dont let someone tell you otherwise. Its your decision and no one elses.
Exactly, If you want to go fast, get an mtx, unless you are gonna spray, then u can be fast w/ an atx. If you just want looks, get the atx.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 45 Posts