New Cougar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who would win in a drag race

5K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  wadespencer99 
#1 ·
Along with that piece of **** silverado that everyone thinks will beat me, I'm eventually also going to be racing my friend's Passat. I have a 2000 v6 cougar. I think his is a 2003 GLS with a 1.8L 170 HP engine and stock turbo with 4 cyllinders and 20 valves. And before you say he's gonna win, it weighs 3240 pounds. Neither of us have any massive mods installed. I only took out my spare tire and put in a K&N filter and it's just barely a hair faster than it was.

Here's what I'm thinking at the moment, but I dunno how right this is. Basically he'll lose lol :biggrin: Something tells me that the 170HP rating on that tiny 4 cylinder engine is with the turbo. Then you consider the weight, I think that means I'll get a couple car lengths ahead of him right off the starting line because it will be pushing like 140 HP or less before the turbo starts doing anything. Then finally when it does kick cuz he's going pretty fast and it's at the full 170 HP, that won't be able to catch up in time because well duh, 170HP vs 165HP that's already moving faster.

There's too many variables for me to make a really accurate estimate though. It still seems really, really close to me but what do you guys think? The most important thing I'd like to know is if the HP rating is with or without the stock turbo cuz that would make a huuuuge difference.

See less See more
#5 ·
The short bed silverados w/ the v8 run high 14s stock. You can't really analyze a race like you are. You're assuming the driving in both cases is perfect. Also, the VW's have turbos sized correctly to the engine and don't lag.

#9 ·
and you're like that dick that posts too much....oh wait yeah that is you.

And if the one constructive person here is right, and it's a driver's race, I'll win. My opponent isn't really into drag racing lol.

And btw all turbos lag. They can't blow the full 8 or so extra PSI worth of air into the engine until the exhaust flow is fast and powerful enough to turn the turbine that fast, which only happens at higher speeds. So yeah turbos do practically nothing in the first second or two of a race. That's why electric superchargers that are powered by a battery that's not connected to the alternator are so powerful...they just work right away and don't slow you down any.

#7 ·
i agree dam kids

#14 ·
someone wasn't paying attention lol. Already got one. Two actually.

And DagerOne, yeah they do work. They're unpopular because the whole system is harder to use in general and install and takes way more equipment and costs more. But when you use an identical turbine system but don't plug up the exhaust and don't steal power from the drive shaft or whatever supers do, then you get a lot more out of the engine than traditional systems. Too bad more electric ones are either junk, weak, scams, or dangerous. There are good, working ones though. Some buses have them because of their large electrical system capacities.

I was just trying to explain to you nicely that electric superchargers don't work... And modern technology makes almost zero lag turbos. If it were true that turbos don't work for the first second or two few sports cars would have them, and certainly no drag cars... but they do.

If there's almost no exhaust coming out to power the turbo, it doesn't work lol. Where do you think the power comes from to move the turbine? You gotta get the engine going. Modern ones are better because they have like "gears" sort of so they can enable the exhaust blocking system to move the turbine but with little resistance...you know like pedaling a bike in gear 1 where there's almost no resistance. But then obviously when the turbine gets up to spinning really fast, it "changes gears" and adds more resistance to the exhaust system but the engine is blowing out a lot more so you get a lot more power when it maxed out. I say "gears" because I dunno if it actually physically uses gears, I doubt it. Just think of an alternator. It draws more by adding more resistance by changing the gear ratios (those I think actually use changing gears)

#17 ·
the f-150 will win the GLS will probally take you but its a drivers race its either you take him by a 1/2 car or takes you by 1/2 or more and about turbo lag the little turbo does not have much once he hits boost he will probally go by unless he either does not know how to drive and shift or you can shift perfectly but ill say if you are good you will win

#21 ·
Your attitude is hilarious . . . you post a question and back it with your opinion which is derived entirely from the delusional world you live in, ask for feedback on said post, then get an attitude when someone DARES to disagree with you.

So since you clearly already know everything about everything, why even bother to post up? Thats a rhetorical question, by the way, though I'm sure you and your infinite wisdom about all things automotive knew that already. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
Right on...seriously, I've read sooo many post on this forum along with others of people just like this who ask a "hypothetical" question with what they think is the right answer already embedded in their head. Then when someone answers the question in an educated way, they get all defensive about it. :disgust:

#23 ·
i agree with that ND4SP

#31 ·
no, I've never seen that as I DON'T RUN WINDOWS 95! plus showing that stupid ancient joke to a computer programmer/repairer is kinda a joke in itself but not how you're thinking. Cut the cutesy internet insults and stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.