New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heated seats? I've got insulation on my butt to keep that unfrozen.

I want car companies to introduce a new heat package:
Heated steering wheel
Heated shift knob
Heated transmission

Pleased to say my car still starts right up in -13 degree F weather (it was -25 at my parents 40 miles west of Albany, NY this morning without the windchill) but after I was able to coax it into reverse and back it out of the driveway, it didn't want to go into first...or pretty much any other gear on my way to work. My sister's '03 Grand Am apparently thought that if it told her it was broken (ABS, Check engine, and traction control lights came on - she lives at my parents where it was -25) she would take it to a nice warm garage to get fixed hehe.

(Oh yeah, the steering wheel should also have a/c for the summer when it's 90 degrees F here...)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not sure about the others but the heated steering wheel is on several cars. The heated shifter is feasable but Ive never seen it done. The heated transmision has probably been done on some high cars, or custom but again ive never seen it. Im sure its all been done but I cant identify which ones it has, the steering wheel however is on many cars now.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
heated steering wheel and shift knobs??? whatever happened to gloves?? and heated transmission? I thought tranny coolers were the new 'fad' all the kids were trying today.
Mike

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Try letting the car warm up for a while first. Being that the tranny is metal and attached to the motor, it'll warm up nicely when the motor does thanks to heat transference. ;)

:cover:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
NEWSFLASH: Heats kills the transmission.

With that being said, why would you want a tranny heater? Just let the car warm up.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Similarto an engine block heater I guess, even though our engines need to be cooled, it makes warming up the car easier... Especially with our cars being such a pain to throw into first when the tranny is cold

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
whatever happened to gloves??
Females do not prodcue their own body heat - they need to get it from an external heat source.

Yes, warming the engine up for a bit would help shifting. However, patience is not a virtue that everybody has. ;)

-Nick

N

·
0 Posts
Get a nice remote start system, that should do it. Just remember to have your heat settings set prior to going inside the house, school, etc.

I have noticed a difference this year having a garage this year though.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With regards to "what happened to gloves?" I have gloves. My fingers are still frozen.

I've only had issues with the tranny when it's colder than -10. No offense, but getting suggestions from people from California, Texas, even Jersey, well, thanks for the laugh ;) and btw - I don't want to heat it up a lot, just enough so that I can get it into a gear...

With regards to letting the car warm up...
1 what a waste of gas. it's gone up 20 cents in the past month to $1.60 I'm cheap
2 my car litterally does not warm up enough to blow heat until I get to work. I find it pointless to warm up the car for longer than my trip to work.
3 I'm the type of person who gets up just in time to be 5 minutes late for work - there's no way I'll be getting out of bed early enough...

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Originally posted by: carajo
3 I'm the type of person who gets up just in time to be 5 minutes late for work - there's no way I'll be getting out of bed early enough...
lol! I Do that too! We're allowed a 5 minute grace period, so I take full advantage of it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts