New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title asks. I am looking at 3 different models and really can't decide on the one I like the best. My year range is 1997 - 2000.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Ford doesn't have the 7.3 anymore, it has been replaced by the 6.0.

However, I would wait one more year. Next year Ford is going away from the 6.0 turbo diesel and introducing the new 6.4 twin turbo diesel. It is going to be the most powerful deisel engine in a HD truck out there. Much more powerful and fuel effiecient than Chevy or Dodge.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,008 Posts
The Duramax is the most refined of the bunch. My dad is a service manager for a gas company, and services mainly Ford and Chevy diesels; he has nothing good to say about the clattering, noisy Powerstroke.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Definatly the Cummins they are 1 good diesel engine , most ppl might say the ford well because we are on a Ford website (pretty much).

just my personal perference , My uncles is a Chevy man all the way all he drives is Chevy but he said he would trade all hes chev's for a brand new Dodge Cummins ( he doesnt have that much cash to buy 1 lol)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I always choose ford first, gm last... But... Id follow Fetts access, the 6.0 has been nothing but problems for my dads company. Fuel injectors go out left and right on that engine. Even brand new ones put in have been defective.

Other than that its a great engine, LOTS of torque and very fast for a big truck like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
in 1992 my dad bought a brand new chevy silverado (i know its not turbo diesel, but bear with me). he has never had a major problem with the truck except for the radio. its only got 75k on it, but it runs like new.. i would get the chevy because they literally run forever..

·
Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
The Duramax is the most refined of the bunch. My dad is a service manager for a gas company, and services mainly Ford and Chevy diesels; he has nothing good to say about the clattering, noisy Powerstroke.
Diesels are supposed to be noisy, man. They don't have spark plugs, geez.

Go with Fett and wait a year, unless you can get a 6.0 cheap. (Powertrain Warranty)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Originally posted by: Fett

However, I would wait one more year. Next year Ford is going away from the 6.0 turbo diesel and introducing the new 6.4 twin turbo diesel. It is going to be the most powerful deisel engine in a HD truck out there. Much more powerful and fuel effiecient than Chevy or Dodge.
I'm aware that Ford doesn't make the 7.3 anymore, he said his year range is 1997-2000 :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Dodge...then make a call to Gale Banks :)

What's cha in the market for a truck for buddy? tow vehicle for the Nova?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey man!!!

Yup that and a few other things ;) I'm starting to lean towards the Ford. I've noticed some 99 - 01 F350s for around 11 - 15K. Hmmmmmm

I probably should just go out and test drive all three of them. I've road in a F250 and feels pretty good. But haven't the others.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan. . .forgot to tell ya. . .actually selling the Nova. I have alittle better idea in the upcoming years :) The Nova is in worse shape than I had thought. Can be restored, however will cost far more $$ than orignally expected as I planned on making it a dragster. So instead, sell the car, get a truck, and shortly thereafter another 98 or 99 Trans AM :evil:

I'm doing things right as well, not financing. I plan to pay cash as I don't want any more vehicle payments.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If you plan on towing in the future, I would HIGHLY recommend the Ford F-350 Dually. They are the best fit n finish of any truck I have driven and the most reliable. The powerstroke (international) is a great motor as is the cummins in the dodges. I have a '93 Dodge dually with the cummins and an allison automatic and its a great truck.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I am [censored]ing Ford guy so that is why that is my vote...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
this is kinda off topic but the company vehicle i get to drive on occasion where i work is a 2004 ford 250/350? diesel and that thing is a blast to drive......that thing feels as though it can drive through anything

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Go with the cummins dodge... cummins is a strong engine... my dad had a cummins dodge turbo diesel... it was basass... he also owns a car carrier, and every tractor he's ever owned/ drove, has been a cummins... :thumbsup:

dan

·
Registered
557 Posts
Originally posted by: Fett

Is it still going to be a navistar engine?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Originally posted by: ice992
Go with the cummins dodge... cummins is a strong engine... my dad had a cummins dodge turbo diesel... it was basass... he also owns a car carrier, and every tractor he's ever owned/ drove, has been a cummins... :thumbsup:

dan
The cummins 5.9L was a total nightmare for freightlliner owners when they had the vp44 fuel pump for several yrs.Since they when't
common rail and egr they seem to be a lot more reliable.Just myself I've replaced at least 25 vp44 pumps and transfer pumps and the
20 other guys in the shop have done their share also.If you get a cummins make sure it's a common rail or the mechanical pump they had
yrs back in say about pre 96.Common rails started in 2002 I beleive for light-med duty trucks.I'm not sure about dodge though.Think about it,that pump is worth 2500$can + labor and have seen many fail again in less or just over a year.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The engine itself is very solid.All problems we had with them where fuel or engine management related.Even then I think the pickups
where less affected by the fuel problems cus fuel tank is alot closer to transfer pump.Tanks on trucks especially school buses are waaayyy
back there and would have needed a lift pump in or near tank.The whole thing was a chain reaction,overworked transfer pumps failing
causing high pressure pump to be starved of fuel and damaging internals,cel,then the tow truck.Cummins where very slow to look in to the problem and all
they made us do was install a pressure sensor at the pump inlet to pop a cel just to let us know that it's too late in most cases
before customer would bring it in,and that after about 8 yrs of companies pulling their hair out cus their trucks and buses where always
down.:shrug:
The duramax is probably the one to have with the common rail 5.9L not far behind if not a draw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.