New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this may be a stupid question to some of you but I'm illiterate when it comes to this stuff. Is Polycarbonate (Lexan) lighter than MDF? I was thinking of making a new (lighter) enclosure for my subs and was wondering if there would be any benefits/detriments in terms of weight savings and sound quality if I used Lexan. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You want to be lighter for racing?

For sound quality, build the box to withstand a missile.

A company called Krell makes a home subwoofer that weighs 400 lbs. and costs $25,000. It is made out of 1-inch thick aluminum....Get the idea?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the answer to your question as to which is lighter, but I agree with Chen's line of thinking. Who cares? The weight savings is going to be what, 5-10 lbs either way? Big deal! Some people eat dinner and vary their weight that much. If you are concerned with weight, make the box removable when you actually go to the track.

For SQ a sealed MFD box of correct value with a good driver will matter more than what kind of board you use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should have been more clear. The box I have is removable. It's the back breaking weight of getting the thing out of the hatch that I want to minimize. I know that 20lbs. either way when it comes down to racing is not a big deal, it's more for practicality that I'd like to get the weight down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard Lexan is more suseptible (sp?) to air leaks too, maybe harder to seal. Just a though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.