New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i might have a bad O2 sensor. I found a few on ebay and have no idea which one it is. I can't find a part number anywhere and i haven't had a chance to look at the one on the car to see which one it is. Here are the ones i found on ebay:
O2 Sensor 1
O2 Sensor 2
O2 Sensor 3
I doubt it's the 3rd one but put a link to it anyways. And if none of these are it would anybody look on ebay real quick to see if there is any there at all.
I've got a 1999 V6 ATX with return style fuel system if that helps at all. The sensor in question is the upstream, bank 2 O2 sensor.

Also, i think my cat is going bad cause i get a wicked rotten eggs smell both inside and outside of the car every so often. So would it hurt me any if i waited till sometime spring/summer to replace it. Just out of curiosity what is it that makes them go bad? Are they just burnt up or are they clogged?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
well as long as there are 4 wires (gray, black, 2 whites) and the plug that plugs into the car's harness is round with the four prongs you should be fine. I think that second pic is the one that I replaced mine with.

Mike

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Either the first or second O2 sensor looks right, the main thing is that it has the 4 wires like stated above...I added the O2 sensor cheat to 2 of them when I gutted my precats, and that's what they looked like. You may be better off to just order one from fordpartsonline.com (around $50 I think), that way you get the right part.

As far as the cat goes, they get clogged-up with junk basically. They can burn themselves up if they get clogged. It really won't hurt anything, but you will lose more and more power if you don't replace it. They are filled with a ceramic honeycomb material, and the holes in the honeycomb get clogged and air can not pass through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You all seem to know the Cougars well, so maybe you can help me. I have a '99 V6 2.5L, and I need to replace both oxygen sensors. I have two questions:

-How can I find out the date my car was manufactured? One of the sensors depends on that.
-Where are the oxygen sensors located? I know I have to jack the car up, but I'm a little confused as to the location.

Thanks a lot, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To find the manufacturing date look on the sticker on the driverside door.

Here a few quotes from another post of mine that might help you find where the O2 sensors are located:
Yea, bank 1 and bank 2 refer to the cylinder banks, and hence the corresponding exhaust manifolds. upstream and downstream I believe refer to the pre-cats, or the catilytic converter... upstream is between the manifold and the cat, downstream is after the cat.
Upstream bank 1 would be the firewall side sensor in the precat/manifold. The downstream one(s) are either just before or just after or inside the main cat under the car. (depends on year ya know).
Bank 1 is the cylinder bank containing cylinder #1. This is the rear cylinder bank (closer to the firewall). Bank 2 contains cylinders 4, 5, and 6 in the front (closer to the radiator).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts