New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading & reading about nitrous (here on the boards and elsewhere) and talking to everyone (that I consider knowledgeable on the subject) and I still have one burning question...Which nitrous kit would be the best for MY application??? (BTW..please don't tell me to search...I have.)

I have a very early 99 (built in August of 98) V6 MTX. I have had problems with detonation (pinging) in the summer months when it becomes particularly hot (over 100+) here in El Paso (which is at least four months out of the year). I exclusively use "premium fuel" (highest octane readily available here is 91) and the detonation still occurs. We use oxygenated fuel here during half of the year as well.

I do not plan to actually use the nitrous all that much, but my biggest concern is to gain some much needed HP without risking any damage to the motor (I would like to run at least a 75-shot), but with my current detonation I am afraid that the addition of nitrous to my motor will cause "problems".

I am well-versed on changing the plugs to two-step colder versions, and the essential nature of a window switch (although I still need help finding one at a reasonable price...my second question here), but after many months of searching, I still need an answer to my original question.

Given my situation (in terms of current high-temperature detonation, lack of anything readily available higher than 91 octane fuel, and my return-system V6 MTX), I need some really expert opinions here...

Which nitrous kit would work best for my application (and why)?

As a side note, where can I find a window switch to work on my car with the (most suggested) nitrous kit an (at least) semi-reasonable price?

Thank you SO much if you can help with my ongoing dilemma!

Sincerely,

~CIII

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I'm not overly versed on this subject but I did alot of research as well.

1) ALWAYS use an octane booster when your going to run the nitrous. No matter the shot size or temp..this is just an excellent pre-caution. Outlaw makes a good product for this (this may help your detonation as well)

2) MSD has a resonable window switching system, howveer Mafterburner will be getting my money come spring for the mafterburner 2 ($400). This will allow tuning and nitrous window switching. Best bang for the buck IMO.

3) Best kit, well depends really. To be safe I'd use a wet kit, and b\c of that you'd get the NX kit. Easy install and tons of retailers (making the price reasonable) An added plus is that NX's 75 shot is to the wheels. Zex and NOS rates thier 75 shot to the crank (shady and not cool). Now as far as the absolute SAFEST kit, hands down the Venom...but I know my wallet would burst into flames by the sheer thought of plunking down that kind of $$.

I have 3 friends running NX kits, none have had issues. And one is the fastest street legal saturn in the US. Take that for what it's worth.....

I hope that helps, although I'm sure you already know all of that from your research. So maybe the guru's can help you out more.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Charles, i would go with a Venom in your case. Since you have detonation problems, it would be best since it would shut down the nitrous at the first onset of detonation. Either that, or you can go with a NX wet kit and make sure to get an A/F safety switch. They are cheap, and shut down the nitrous if you run too rich or too lean.

As far as the window switch, go with MSD. Its about 85-90 dollars from RaceNet.Net, but its hard to find on their site. I saw PuckPuck posted something about a window switch for like 50-60 bucks not too long ago, so you may want to send him a PM about that.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Someone posted dynotune.org, which has window switches, AND a/f switches, so if you run too lean, or too rich, nitrous is cut off.... which is something I'd definately invest in with nitrous.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight everyone!

One more thing though...Where's the best place (in terms of pricing) to find the Venom kit (and how much is its approximate cost)?

Thanks again,

~CIII

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey...

Got a little problem...The literature on rammotorsport's site says that the Venom systems are for cars NOT equipped with a return fuel line. I've got the return fuel system.

Can this system be modified to work on MY car, and if so, what's the how-to? (OR am I better off buying an NX kit and then getting the window switch and A/F safety switch seperately?)

:confused:

~CIII

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Thats weird, I know GMK was going to use the VCN2000 and he has a return fuel rail. It would be cheaper to go with the NX kit, and you always could add on any options later. With the NX kit, a progressive controller is avaliable also, and thats a great thing to have. It allows the nitrous to gradually increase to a set limit instead of hitting an instant power boost.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i wouldn't trust half the website you see these days...

a VCN-2000 (or 1000 for that matter) are perfectly compatible with return or returnless fuel systems. Thats because they tap directly into the injectors for the additional fuel requirements, which is one of the reasons that this kind of unit is expensive (needs more circuitry than a simple ZEX setup)

here is the installation manual. lots of other stuff on the real venom site as well...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Originally posted by: CrAzYbEeRgUy
yes charles, it'll work on your return fuel system, i had the vcn2000 before i sold it to kenny, who sold it again to someone else...lol
Yep that would be me, should be getting put in as we speak :) Hands down cant beat the 2000 and the price was quite nice, just hope everything works right :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.