New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hanging in a low gear at a high speed OR downshifting to a low gear at a high speed? if doing any of these alot, will it hurt the transmission or drivetrain? peace, Eden

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well you can't GO that fast in a low gear... and I know for sure that downshifting from 4th into 1st (or 2nd) is VERY bad. I'd say the downshift. The worst you'll probably do by staying in low gear is annoy yourself with the engine whine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unless your redlining when you drop into a lower gear, the only thing that you will hurt would be the clutch. i would stay in the lower gear, unless some dumbass in an integra is tryin ya. then screw the clutch ~!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you are not accelerating as fast as you want to, stay in the higher gear. You've save gas and have longer engine life. As for frying the clutch, if you do not match revs when you downshift, it wears the clutch. I always blip the gas when I downshift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.