New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm contemplating buying headers and a Y-pipe.....Which do you think are better?

Custom cougars ones for ~500
MSDS for ~660

Now, I realize price is usually a reflection of quality, but what's your opinions?
Also I'm planning on doing a 3L in the future so what's the difference between the MSDS for the Cougar, Mazda 6, and Escape?
(I have a 2 bolt flange so I would have to work around the CC ones with the 3 bolt flange)

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Well, working around the flange on the CC headers could very well be just getting a new cat converter.

IMO the fitment issue is the only issue. Find out which one, or if both will fit. Take it from there. Search on the headers from a while back.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Just go with the MSDS for your two bolt flange style. MSDS cust. service is second to none- Marty stands by his product, and with the new coating, they're damn near bullet-proof headers.

The cool part about the two bolt style is that the flange is a 3" outlet, which you can hook up a nice 3" hi-flow cat to, similar to what I am doing:

... to a 3" Borla ProXS, then swedge reduced to 2.5" to fit to a Trubendz. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Originally posted by: JohnnyRed
Now, I realize price is usually a reflection of quality, but what's your opinions?
Also I'm planning on doing a 3L in the future so what's the difference between the MSDS for the Cougar, Mazda 6, and Escape?
(I have a 2 bolt flange so I would have to work around the CC ones with the 3 bolt flange)
You are absolutely correct about the price reflecting quality. The Weapon-R headers are VERY thin, and will require moficiation of not only the ypipe flange to fit your car, but the EGR tube as well. Considering how hot the gasses are that go through the EGR, I dont know how comfortable I would be modifying that. "mad tyte stainless steel dawg!" is nothing but a marketing gimmick. That stainless steel is so thin it might as well be tin foil.

The MSDS Headers are made specifically for your car, and include ceramic heat-resistant coating. Your engine bay will run at cooler temperatures with the MSDS headers. You may also want to consider the upgraded nickel coating (i dont know exactly what its called... all i know is thats what my headers have and it pleases me), which would probably last longer if you live in an area where it snows, as the road salt seems to eat away at the standard ceramic coating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts