New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lately I have not been able to get my car in 5th gear in the freeway while going about 75-90mph...... so I took the shift boot off to get a better look and while trying to engage the gear I get some kind of resistance and its hard to get it in....But I hear a clicking sound like some kind of hard plastic breaking or clicking...???? So I have a Short shifter and I have not had a problem since I installed it like 2 years ago until now and well I dont know what it could be.... I think something might be missing that I left out while installing it.. So does any one have any suggestions and can someone post a picture of what the shifter mechanis should look like but ofcourse with the shift boot off...??? any help???

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
bad syncro maybe..sounds like it...off to the transmission shop i would say.

the short shifter can not cause a problem like this (or at least its very unlikely) so you can rule that out....

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Ive heard of people having screws come loose on the linkages near the shifter, but normaly when that happens you loose half your gears ....1 3 5 or 2 4 R

humm odd

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay.. well I have noticed the problem persists when the car is reving high, because it also does it when shifting to second at about 6500rpm's. and if I drive like a Granny I get no problems at all with any gears. So what I think could be a factor is the pressure plate. I got a new clutch put in about 1year ago and I honestly think that the bastard mechanic used a very generic clutch and assembly. So what i will try to do is get a new clutch (performance) or just see if a new pressure plate will hold.

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
I would check the shift linkage ends on the trans first. If you have a '99-'00 they had cheap rubber that wears out creating a lot of slop in the shifter making it tough to get into gears when shifting aggressively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.