New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C of my Cougar leaks and after about a month it needs to be refilled. Dryer and maintenance valve we leaking and have been replace but theres a leak somewhere else. Is there common places where Cougars leaks ?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Mine was leaking for the compressor. But i got it paid for by the dealership where i got the car from.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You should be able to tell where it is leaking by closely inspecting all of the components and looking for a oily or oily dirt spot. Compressor oil will accompany the fluid leak and while small it will collect dust. If you can't find it you can try some flourescent leak detector available where freon is sold. It will be a bit more obvious than the oil. In most cases a leak is going to be at a connection where the o-rings have dried out. Occasionally it could be a component like the compressor. If you can't locate it take it some place that does frequent AC work and they will locate it. You can then decide how you want it fixed. Good luck.

Andy

·
Registered
853 Posts
the most common leak complaint on any A/C system is from the evaporator inside the HVAC box under the pass side of the dash. the reason for their common falure is pretty simple...

When the a/c system is on, the cold surface of the evaporator attracts moisture like a cold glass of soda... that moisture builds up and drips out of the box and thats why yo get that water puddle under your car when its running. What can happen is the hole becomes blocked, and the water sits at the bottom of the box. if any leaves or organic material get in there they decompose in the water and raise the acidity of the liquid.. this in short, rots the evaporator sitting in the water.

sometimes if the evaporator is leaking good enough, you can see the tracer (if it has been added to the system) with a black light coming from the hole in the HVAC box... i cant remember off hand where ours are at, but a good undercar inspection will get you started... and remember... A/C work MUST be done in a shop by a certified technician

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.