New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where could i find good turbochargers for a cougar???? websites would be appreciated thanx

·
Registered
558 Posts
Originally posted by: tropiccougar01
Between $5000-$6000 installed.
hmm....5K for the kit.....ur saying only 1K more for install.....needs tuning and all that other stuff...i have no idea how much this is but i'd say another 3K at least for misc. parts needed along with the 'kit and install'...

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
$5,000 includes everything. Installation should take a good mechanic with the right tools 2 days at most. Keith does them in 11 hours complete. They come with a tuned chip now no it's plug and play.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Keep in mind my former Supercharged 3L made 278 hp and 238 Tq at the wheels, and it cost me OVER 14,000 with all the mods etc. The turbo is a steal and I would save all the money on "bolt-on's" and put this on a stock engine with exhaust and your golden (assuming your nice to the trans before a LSD upgrade)

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
He craig...On that dyno, do you still have your secondaries in there?? Since there's an obvious dip, I figured I'd ask.

I'd think removing them would yield a small bump in power in a FI application.

Besides that, it's not the $5000 +$1500-$2000 (install) that's the problem...if you got that money, great for you. Its the issue if you blow your motor or your trans, can you cover the cost of replacing it all...

I guess that's the problem with any types of modifications...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Secondaries must be left in tact with the turbo system, SF discoverd some lag issues without them in development.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that turbo kit isnt worth what you pay for it and all the hassle it causes. It looks like crap installed to boot.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by: pgtatx

Besides that, it's not the $5000 +$1500-$2000 (install) that's the problem...if you got that money, great for you. Its the issue if you blow your motor or your trans, can you cover the cost of replacing it all...
have ya seen how cheap 2.5 motors are lately? if you have the room, as long as you're spending 5-7 grand drop another few hundred bucks and have a backup, or hell...keep a 3.0 as a backup. you'd have the donor parts from your possible blown motor...and after you blow your motor with FI you might like the idea of NA. not to say u will blow a motor...just in case of.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
that turbo kit isnt worth what you pay for it and all the hassle it causes. It looks like crap installed to boot.
Care to elaborate on this alittle bit. That seams like a very broad statement. What hassles does this kit cause and what looks like crap?

I've never popped the hood of my turbocharged cougar and said to myself man that looks like junk I'm such a moron for doubling my stock horsepower output at the wheels. I'm just gonna set this thing on fire......

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could easily tell what he means....The IC is a an eye sore. Granted the placement is where it will do the best job, but its ugly. Most like to see the Turbo and filter...not an IC.

The only hassles i could think of would be the changing the water for the IC. Unless he is speaking of installation of the kit.

Car still looks bad a$$ Craig!! Even through this crap... i may go with a widbody kit for the hell of it.

Where are all the detailed pics of this kit? Like underneath etc....

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Originally posted by: overfiend
Originally posted by: pgtatx

have ya seen how cheap 2.5 motors are lately? if you have the room, as long as you're spending 5-7 grand drop another few hundred bucks and have a backup, or hell...keep a 3.0 as a backup. you'd have the donor parts from your possible blown motor...and after you blow your motor with FI you might like the idea of NA. not to say u will blow a motor...just in case of.

My point, is after all thes kids I've spoken to, even though some of these kids are in their 30's, people forget alot about a turbo set up.

You buy a kit, and slap it on, leaving out alot. People end up wasting money since they do not optimize the set-up, and reinforce the engine/drivetrain. And these people are the ones that wonder why they spent $6K on a kit/install and still can't beat their friends car with bolt ons.

Basically it;s this...if you;re paying for install of the Turbo kit, and you blow that motor or don't get the all out of it, even if people handed you engines for free, these people specifically can't do an engine swap. So labor charges go through the roof again.

Blowing the trans in our car is very easy too...and buying used trans after used trans is worthless after a while.

Basically I always recommend to people, if you can just barely afford the turbo set-up, some of the extra accessories and install, then a turbo is not for you. You always need reserve funds.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Craig your car is great and i dont down it at all but look at that big box just sitting there. its not even smooth. it just looks like crap. as for horsepower yea you got another 100 hp for 5000 plus more for all the extras you needed. thats just way too much money for 100 hp. then the first time you try to up the boost bye bye engine cause these engines aint made to handle anything.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

I think the air/water intercooler looks sweet polished up. Most guys at car shows don't know what it is and when they ask about it and you show the whole system with the polished tank in the trunk they are taken back. Front mount intercoolers look sweet but I love stopping for gas and buying 2 bags of ice and then watching the intercooler sweat because it's so cold and then romping on it.

here is a small video
Carlisle Video

Another video with sound
Turbo and BOV

As for the cost look at what you get.
Stainless steel tubular design headers and collector
stainless downpipe
3" cat
T28 Dual ball Bearing Turbo
Turbo XS BOV
External Wastegate mine came with a turbonetics deltagate
Upgraded injectors mone came with 24's
Fuel Management (mine was a custom setup with MSD Boost Retard and Ignition as well as an Apexi AFC)
Fender Mounted Intake
3" K&N Filter
Oil Lines and Hoses
Spearco Air/Water Intake
Water Reserve Tank for trunk
Earl's Front Mounted Heat Exchanger

And on top of that all the piping is hand fabricated by the kits designer for top quality. A v6 turbo kit will never be as simple or as cheap as a honda 4 cyl kit.

As far as the motors not holding power most have I just had a failure on a piston ring that caused me to have to rebuild. I got 9:1 Forged Pistons from JE and I'm anxious to see what power it makes now. They're going to open up the heads as well.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
craig that sounds like tons of fun. the closest thing ill ever get to a turbo is i drove a gst eclipse before and wanted to buy it but the loan didnt go through. im too poor to put a turbo on my car

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why did you change hoses (oil line etc..). Is stainless offered? Or did you just change it for looks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
you say 265.87 hp and 257.02 tq on a stock 2.5 motor? um, do you mean stock, or do you mean stock internals? Those are two entirely different things and the numbers change accordingly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts