New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can i buy a coil pack for my 2000 v6 (clip on plug wire style)? also, what kind of job is it to do it (time wise and difficulty)?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Bill Jenkins (Signature Lincoln Mercury in Las Vegas, NV) would have the better Ford price on an OEM coil pack (mention you're a NECO member for the discount). Since our cars have such propriatary ignition systems (waste-spark induction coil), there are no known aftermarket coil packs for upgrading. Even aftermarket ignition "upgrade kits" aren't recommended.

The job is easy- one wiring harness to the car (clip), 6 spark plug wires, and 4 6mm bolts remove it from the valve cover. Reverse the process to install.

What's leading you to believe you need a new pack?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car had a real bad hesititaion below 3k rpms. tried fuel pump ( i did need it anyway because mine died), imrc and some other things. Finally i just bought FR 9mm wires and it took almost all of it away. I now can run my car below 3k and my gas milage went from 20mpg to 24mpg. I think a new coil pack will take the rest of the hesitition out of my car. i already have new plugs in it too. AutoLite double Plat.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Without a DTC error that leads you to believe that you're having coil pack problems, I would hesitate to just throw money at it. I would finger the plugs and wires before the coil pack- Make sure the plugs are clean and gapped to .053", a dab of anti-seize compound on the threads, and a dab of dielectic (tune-up) grease in each boot of the wires. Also dab a bit of it at the coil pack for each contact too. That way you ensure a good connection.

I would be willing to bet money that the plug/wire/coil contact situation is causing the behaviour you described, short of a fuel system issue (have you changed the fuel filter within the past year?)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually i have done a lot to this car in a year (that is all the longer i have owned it):
fuel pump
injectors cleaned
pressure tests
IAC Valve
Speed Sensor
Alternator
Battery
plugs
wires
coil pack
pcv valve
2 fuel filters
front brakes and rotors
rear brakes and rotors
--and i have only put 12,000 miles on this car and it currently has 52,000

due to all of this, i am not a very happy person with my cougar. It is history this time next year when i have enough of it paid off to trade it. sorry to get off topic but i am not happy with this car, at all. Yeah i have cleaned and gapped them.
I didn't put grease into the boot that goes over the plug, do you really think that is a big issue??
i did put grease onto the end that goes into the coil pack. I didn't gap them to .053 because it days to gap them to .054-.056. so mine are at .054. yes i did make sure the "caps" at the top of the plugs were snugged up. i have bought wired loom and put it anywhere that they might touch the motor. i even made my own wire trees to make them less likly to be laying on the motor in some places.

i am to the point anymore that i am very will to take any advice because i just can't get this hesitiation out of this car.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Excellent description- Obviously you've done your homework. You may be looking at a coil pack problem... Bill Jenkins would be able to hook you up. Short of a computer malfunction or an actual bad injector, I'm not sure of where to point you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i put a coil pack on it yesterday, i have a hook up at my ford dealer. i got mine for $100. it ran a little better but there is still some in it yet. EVEN WORSE, it seems to be coming back more and more when i am driving. when i first put the FR racing wires on, it was completly gone except for a bump here and there, but now it is increasing once again. i wish something would just break or die so i can fix this stupid thing, i am now going onto the 6 month with this. Funny thing is that it was pretty much better but it now coming back the more and more i drive. it kinda has a "flutter" when it isn't bucking below 3k. but that flutter is being replaced with the hesitiation, slowly, but surely. when i say i cleaned the plugs (which only have 4k miles) i mean that i sprayed them with starting fluid and wiped clean, because unless use sand blast them, all you are doing is buffing the carbon. but i figured with all the more miles, i would just get some off the loose stuff off.

i am a mechanic myself, i work on trucks and race cars...never in my life have i encountered such a ignort thing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anyone have a clue as to why my hesitiation would be coming back. its only been about 400 miles and it is creeping back up. Has anyone had problems with the Autolite double Plats.? i know it is somewhere in the ignition...am i missing something??

N

·
0 Posts
Have you tested all your injectors? Have you checked your MAF. Mine used to do that but it was because i was running too rich. I then hooked a MSD ignition and it went away and never came back.......not sure if that fixed the problem or i just put a bandaid on the problem....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually i think i have solved it. I believe my plug wires were bad because i did see results. the second thing was the Autolite Double Plats. I switched to single plats. and now it is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts