New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very frustrating when you beat someone through the 1,2 and 3 gear and then lose when it comes to the top speed. How do I get rid of the Speed Limiter?

·
Registered
161 Posts
what did you max out at? I know uridian hit 142...you were racin that fast?!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I thought 137mph was the governed limit?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The theoritcal limit in 5th gear, before the revlimiter kicks in is 152. Whether we can only get to 143 due to drag, or because of a governor(which is what I think), I don't honestly know.

Arthur

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I maxed out at 124...it climbed to 124 real smoothly but then just wouldn't go any further so i'm guessing its the speed limiter. It could be due to the ATX but feels like its the limiter. i was reving at more than 4000 so i know it's not a rev limiter because i had a Mystique V6 before the Cougar and it had a rev limiter at 4000. I know that you can get bigger tires and fool the limiter
but then you dont know your actual speed so you can't boast about it

·
Registered
568 Posts
My rev limiter is at 7000RPM on the 1st gear on the second I can hit about 6750RPM. The fastest i went in my car was 140MPH at 6000Rpm so i think that it would go about 150MPH without the Gov. limiter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn...that's why I haven't been able to go above 115!!! How do you fix that?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Mahivaal-If you have the sport group then you should easily be able to get over 124mph. I have an ATX and ahve hit my governor about 2 or 3 times, at 137mph, and once got it to 141mph, i just gunned it right before i hit the governor and the governor kicked in late. I was at about 6000RPM so i knew i didn't ahve much left. I did that bone stock after about 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think Craig has it right, the sports group is limited by the rev limiter which means you can go above 140 mph under certain condition (ie, downhill, wind on your back, light loads etc) but not much faster because you can't beat the law of physics. With the non-sports package cougar, you have a speed limiter which is there to save your life due to the sh!tty tire Ford put on the standard cougar.

someone once caluclated the theoritical top speed of cougar based on the final gear ratio of the car and MTX is something like 155 mph and ATX is close to 170 mph. But at last, Mr Newton made sure we can never go that fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.