New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that about sums it up.....I was thinking under the passanger seat. Any reasons against this? Any better ideas on where to put it?

G

·
It depends on the size and requirements as called for by the manufacturer. Some amps need much more space for adequate cooling so under the seat would not be a good thing. Also running wires from under the seat (i don't know where to do it). You can fix the heat thing by installing a small fun that runs of the 12v power switch to the amp and turns on when the amp is on but then you can hear the whine inside the passenger compartment. I just have my amp in the trunk mounted to the floor gets good cooling. but I have also screwed it to the back of the seats which works good too.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the imput! I was actually looking at the fan idea, but I don't think there is one made for the model I got. I really want it hidden, so I might have to come up with something special....

G

·
I mounted by Rockford Fosgate amp under the passenger seat, did it myself. Have had no problems w/overheating at all. I was afraid here in Texas it might get too hot in the trunk where the AC doesn't reach, so I put it there, runs great. Are you doing it yourself? Let me know, I can give you a how to. I did my four channel amp on a Saturday in a couple hours, not too difficult if you have someone helping you.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip. Actually I'm having it done because I've decided to get it installed on the sidewall above my cd changer in the trunk...if the heat gets to be a problem I might have to get a fan mounted on it. I tried under the passanger seat, but it's a bit to big. people would be stepping on it when they got in the back.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Of course, mounting it on the sub enclosure (if you have one) requires NOT drilling holes into the chassis...which is always preferred...but..

under the pass. seat seems ok, and yes, a fan would help...

If you want a fan, it's pretty easy:

get like a 3" 12-volt fan from radio shack and a relay that will handle 12 volts

tie the relay into the + and the remote wire....

it acts as a "switch", so that when you turn the deck on it supplies the remote lead tho the amp AND the fan the full 12V.....

I had an installer do mine, though......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.