New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there:

I have to find the alternator to see if I have a problem with it. Where is it located and how do you get to it, in other words what do you have to or not have to remove.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is located on the underside of the motor on the passenger's side.

I believe you need to remove the passenger's side wheel and the splash guard in the fender.

Do a search for 'alternator' and you will find more answers and there is a how-to somewhere around here.

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Yep. The easiest way to get to EVERYTHING you need is to drop the Y-pipe from the exhaust manifold. Unbolt the Y-pipe from the front and rear manifold, and the catalytic converter. This gives you the best sight lines on the alternator. Also, as mentioned, the passenger's wheel and lower splash guard need to be removed, as this is how it comes out if you have to remove the alt.

It is NOT a fun or easy job. Give yourself plenty of time, and be sure you have about 2 feet of extensions and a universal jouint for your sockets.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
And be prepared to either have a crappy ford alternator replace it, or get it rebuilt at a local shop. I could not find a replacement for the 2001-2002 alternator when i search less than a month ago.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If you have a bunch of socket extensions (2.5' worth) and a universal joint for your socket extensions you don't need to mess with the Y pipe. Trust me I had my Alternator in and out about 6 times over the last few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts