New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where could I get an inverter to power a 120V AC indiglo night light?... would something for a cold cathode work?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Umm... the store..... pick one, say Walmart????

For someone who claims they know alot about electronics and claims to have surpassed me by self titling yourself "YOUR LED MOD GOD" I kinda raise my eyebrows at some of your questions. Think about your question really hard.... 120VAC indiglo power equating to a cold cathode.....

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't claim to know alot about electronics... thad be you with the huge honking graphic sig my friend :)

I state i am the "LED MOD GOD" b/c I've done so much work with them, written a tutorial, and swapped LEDS for a bunch of people... LEDs, least to me are an entire separate fish to fry that what i was inquiring about... a 330ohm resistor and some solider is a bit diff than using wave rectifiers and figuring out craziness like that

Anyways... I was asking b/c i dont want a huge honking inverter with a powerplug outlet.... just something small simple to power one little EL sheet... id even make it if I had a schematic and a parts list

As for the cathode inverter question, once again since I'm not as "electrically enlightened" as you are I thought Id ASK... please forgive me ;)

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured as much (about the cathode one) since now that i look at it it just steps the voltage up really...

I'd really like to build one then since I do not want it attached to my cig ligher

Would this suffice Linky

by that i mean... could i build it to be compact and not have to worry about heat...

that will do 300 Watts and i really only need like 60 prolly... so if that schematic is good... how could i modify it to output lower wattage?

thanks excelcier

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that cheesy schematic before. It'll work fine for what you're doing but I gotta tell you, buying the transformer alone will cost you about $30 plus the other parts. You're better off just buying a prebuilt one for $25-$30 and ripping it apart and hardwiring it into the car.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Excelcier... I so I checked out the bosch SPDT relays... and the wiring gauge is pretty small compared to line running to my subs... what would be the best way to move from an 8 gauge cable to whatever the wire on the relay harnesses is (prolly 16-18)... And on that note, how should I tap into the 8 guage cable to make a "bus" if you will to give all my relays their "activated" power source

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Originally posted by: Excelcier
Umm... the store..... pick one, say Walmart????

For someone who claims they know alot about electronics and claims to have surpassed me by self titling yourself "YOUR LED MOD GOD" I kinda raise my eyebrows at some of your questions. Think about your question really hard.... 120VAC indiglo power equating to a cold cathode.....
LOL :rofl:

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i looked through your PPT... brings me way back to my days as a CET @ RIT... gizmotronics:)... but is it ok to just tap and soldier a guage that is 2x the source right to it??? I didnt see anything about step down for gauge

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Hold the boat.... did you already buy the EL sheet? i got a kit that came with the inverter thats about 1 inch square .... just cut the damn 3xAAA battery pack off it and tap the power and step it down to the right voltage ... think its like 2.5v...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.