New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 I4 MTX, if i hold her at about 1800 and let the clutch out off the line the car hops all over the place...if i dont spin anyway...will this hopping leave my tranny behind me or will i just shake the crap out of my car and loosen a bunch of stuff??i would love to tighten up the front end and keep it on the ground a little better but very limited budget (baby on the way) has me wondering what the easiest/ cheapest way to eliminate some of this would be??

i tried seaching wheel hop and not much came up...some one help please..thanx NECO

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well I can relate.. Its getting too much power to drive normally but not enough to spin the tires. Either quit doing it or launch at a higher rpm. no clue how Transmission will hold up. Might it might not, although im going to take a stab and say its bad for it. If you want to launch at that rpm then hold the clutch in slightly to get less hop out of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
thats funny cuz mine hops to, and it feels like the car is gunna fall apart, i thought maybe the tires were grippin too much, but then realized when i put snow tires on, it still does it

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have heard of, and seen FWD cars that use traction bars. If my memory serves me they mount from the lower control arm to the frame. Anyone tried anything like this on a cougar.

Jake

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I broke a motor mount bolt due to wheel hop.. I knwo there are tons of other problems that can arise due to wheel hop.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
SVT's 'Tours have a "stab-o-shock", which is a torque brace like a traction bar but with a shock absorber instead of being solid. You can get the assemblies for like $250 from ford.

PerformanceFords of Canada's STREET LINK

edit: shyte, my bad... i dunno if these are available for Zetecs.

·
Registered
832 Posts
DON'T HOP IT! I broke one of the bolt holes clean off my transmission bell housing and partially stipped another because of wheel hop. I tried filling up the motor mounts with poly filler but it didn't help. I may eventually try a sold front and rear custom motor mounts, but that's a while away. So if it starts to hop, get off the gas quick, as it will cause damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.